PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issues > pulsating lights.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Electrical Issues > pulsating lights.

Anybody got an issue with your lights pulsating? Mine's been doing it for about 3 years now ... thinking either a bad ground somewhere in the wiring harness, or , maybe alternator not getting a good ground or connection. I've checked everything I know to check and can't find anything wrong anywhere.

Anybody ever had this issue? It's my headlights, dash lights, and seems to be my whole lighting system. When I rev to higher rpm's, it gets somewhat worse. It's driving me a little crazy, but, doesn't affect how the car runs at all ... anybody got any ideas?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching and reading so many threads on this problem. My 2002 TA has only 25k miles and it does it too. However the alternator tests out fine. Some people have said that corosion on the terminals on the alt is the problem, however mine are clean as new. Other people have said that replacing the alternator fixes the problem. I havent tried that yet. Some people say improving the engine ground and chassis ground fixes it. My ground points all zero out my digital multimeter, and are clean and solid.

I am pretty sure this is being caused by voltage spikes not drops. I have a brand new battery and I still push 14.5-14.7 volts at the battery after start. Thats when they pulse. Then, I do notice that after I drive my car for a while, the volt gauge reads lower to a steady 13.2-13.5 volts and then the pulsing stops.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting. I'll look at my voltage gauge. i pretty sure the same thing happens with mine. It seems like after it's driven for awihile, it seems to almost go away completely.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My alt checked out fine except for the diodes in the regulator. It would constantly put out a steady 13.8-14.0 volts and read good. But when i got it on a more advanced machine i came to find out that the diodes in the regulator were on their way down south. Swapped it out for a new delco and all is good to go now.

Search this Thread