Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcm tuning software is overpriced

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcm tuning software is overpriced

man i know i the guys work hard on the hp tuners software but damn 699 for the program and 8 credits....? wtf. and then its like you have to buy more credits for everything? thats ridiculous.. all i could think when i was readin how the credit sytem worked was "id rather jerk of with barbed wire mittens using rubbing alchohol as lube than contribute to that communism!"...and then i saw the price of ls2 edit...ill be getting hp tuners lol
Old 12-06-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nobody likes software pricing but it's a tool that does the job,
and for the buck it's done more for my car than any equivalent
dollar amount of hardware. Which is plenty more in total and
all the really useful bits (converter, gears, cam) needed tuning
help to run right. I think software is under 10% of my total
"investment" (not including the car itself, just the add-ons).
Thing is without it I would still have 90% of the investment and
the thing would run like ***.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Not a fan of the price but it is worth every penny. Throw in "lifetime" support and upgrades and a very helpful board and its not that hard to swallow. Then compared to a "dyno tune" its pretty much a bargain.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

it is expensive, but if you compare it to the price of repeatedly getting tuned by a shop for every mod, its relatively cheap. also, if you get decent with it you can make some of that money back. while not nearly what i have paid for mine, i have made a decent bit here and there doin gear corrections, code deletions, injector tunes and the like.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can say is, have you seen the raw code? If you had, you would think differently about the price.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is how much it takes to motivate people into doing the work required to create the product.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

lol lots of good points. i was talking to a couple guys at work who said they would pay me to tune there cars..so i guess it would be worth it..does anyone make a tuning program that works on asian and european. thats the big market around here.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JC_Engineered
lol lots of good points. i was talking to a couple guys at work who said they would pay me to tune there cars..so i guess it would be worth it..does anyone make a tuning program that works on asian and european. thats the big market around here.
Depends on what Asian. Theres Hondata. I dont know of anything for the other Asian companies. And then theres some VW and Audi stuff out there. Pretty sure theres tuning software for all the Euro cars. But, if you think Domestic stuff is pricey, dont even think about the Euro stuff.
Try doing Vipers. 3500 for the edit software, and then 500 bucks for the handhelds. Thats 500 bucks for EACH car. Makes HPT and efilive look very, very reasonable.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't discount your learning curve, you aren't going to jump into tuning 3 or 4 entirely different management systems in a month... unless you already know ALL about the setups you are tuning, and what each setup will like and perform well with.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Frost
don't discount your learning curve, you aren't going to jump into tuning 3 or 4 entirely different management systems in a month... unless you already know ALL about the setups you are tuning, and what each setup will like and perform well with.
its nothin new. i tune bikes on the side now and i used to do cars when i was in college. they are all the same once your figure them out and that dont take to long. i just want the hp tuners because im gonna put a hho generator on it and that makes the computer think it is running way to lean when in reality its running perfect.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned

its nothin new. i tune bikes on the side now and i used to do cars when i was in college. they are all the same once your figure them out and that dont take to long. i just want the hp tuners because im gonna put a hho generator on it and that makes the computer think it is running way to lean when in reality its running perfect.
How long ago were you in college? What software did you use? Ever tuned an ETC car? If not you're in for a big surprise.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

bout two years....ive tuned all kinds of stuff. all it comes down to is learning the software. and if there is any extra stuff like dod or tourqe management. other than that, ignition timings and a/f ratios all work the same way.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Banned

bout two years....ive tuned all kinds of stuff. all it comes down to is learning the software. and if there is any extra stuff like dod or tourqe management. other than that, ignition timings and a/f ratios all work the same way.
How can you have tuned "all kinds of stuff ", and yet you didnt know the cost and structure of the 2 best selling software companies out there?
And I'll ask again, ever tuned an ETC car?
A/F ratios dont "work", YOU have to WORK to ACHIEVE an air fuel ratio. And there are several methods at arriving at the same A/F ratio.
As for all of them working the same way, I take it you've never peaked at an 07 and up VE table huh?
What software were you using before?
Old 12-07-2007, 04:11 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

At first, I was in sticker shock over the cost... but it didn't take long for me to appreciate the price. I've been tuning my T/A for a while now, and still working at it. I recently got a FAST 90/90 and have been working on my own doing the tune and learning along the way. On top of that, I was able to tune my wife's Saab 9-7x (Trailblazer, Envoy cousin) and actually made a nice difference in the driving manners as well as got another 1-3 mpg.

What's expensive is the tuning for my Saab 9-3. It's the same motor that's in the Solstice and Sky (2.0L turbo) but with a Swedish computer. The handheld, plug-n-play programmers go for well over a grand and there isn't even any options, just factory tune or high performance tune. Granted, it yeilds a nice gain because of the conservative factory tune, but still, over a grand and there aren't even any options.

So by now, I still have 4 credits left, can tune two other cars, and have gotten more than my money's worth out of HPtuners.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Depends on what Asian. Theres Hondata. I dont know of anything for the other Asian companies. And then theres some VW and Audi stuff out there. Pretty sure theres tuning software for all the Euro cars. But, if you think Domestic stuff is pricey, dont even think about the Euro stuff.
Try doing Vipers. 3500 for the edit software, and then 500 bucks for the handhelds. Thats 500 bucks for EACH car. Makes HPT and efilive look very, very reasonable.
I know there were a whole bunch of free editing programs out there for Honda and some of them were shut down for some reason or another.
--------------------------------------------------
to the OP: You have to pay for your GM programs but you get support and that support from the manufactuer as well as the user base is SOOO worth it.

The point is that it takes money to hire engineers to make the hardware, software engineers to make the program, money to run the waranty program, money to run the website, money to update, provide a presense at hot rodding/industry shows.........
Old 12-07-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What are the credits used for? How are they distributed? VIN?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I know there were a whole bunch of free editing programs out there for Honda and some of them were shut down for some reason or another.
--------------------------------------------------
to the OP: You have to pay for your GM programs but you get support and that support from the manufactuer as well as the user base is SOOO worth it.

The point is that it takes money to hire engineers to make the hardware, software engineers to make the program, money to run the waranty program, money to run the website, money to update, provide a presense at hot rodding/industry shows.........
Lawsuit by Hondata........
Old 12-07-2007, 09:07 PM
9 Second Club

its cheap in the grand scheme of things
Old 12-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tiago
its cheap in the grand scheme of things
I'm just baffled by the fact that he doesnt know what any of the software costs but yet hes tuned "all kinds off stuff".
Old 12-07-2007, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Don't look at it as an expense, but rather an investment especially if you're serious about hot rodding an EFI car. Tuning and scanning software should be considered as an intergral part of modifying modern performance vehicles, not an afterthought. The price is well worth the admission.

Quick Reply: pcm tuning software is overpriced