Sponsored by:

Just ordered a pocket dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered a pocket dyno?

www.pdyno.com
For those of you who don't know what it is.
Has anyone used or heard of this,it is better then the G-tech Pro according to them. Anyone??????
Old 06-27-2003, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Just ordered a pocket dyno?

Most people here dont believe this kind of performance measurement is accurate. I cant say I belive it is accuate either but good luck with it.
I hope i am wrong because I have nothing to base my opion on except hear/say.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

I have actually seen a test against a radar gun, and the testing was dead accurate. This was, however, for the G-tech Pro Competition.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

That does look interesting. I was frustrated with the G-Tech and another one I found, DynaTech maybe?, that would not export the data. I am in the process of building one to do that, so this looks quite interesting and maybe can save me a lot of time and work. At first blush, it must use an accelerometer, like G-Tech. There is nothing wrong with that as they are inexpensive (mine was a sample from Analog Devices) and quite accurate. My first choice would be to record MPH and derive acceleration, but you can do it either way. RPM is handy because you need it for HP, but then you havbe to hook something up and the point of these things is that they are "non-contact". The down side is that you have to give it gearing info so it can deduce RPM and then compute HP. OTOH, recording MPH is not accurate if you have wheel spin Of course these things cannot be as accurate as some other methods (data logger, dyno, etc), how much accuracy do you need? G-Tech's accuracy claims are reasonable if you do the math and this one shouldn't be any less. The latest (and most expensive) G-Tech claims to measure RPM from the cigarette lighter. Quite a feat, methinks. The only thing I can see is that they somehow deduce the RPM from the noise on the 12V supply. The beauty of this device is that the data is captured in a Palm so you can post process it to your heart's content. There is no Windows data reduction software yet, but that isn't a problem for me - I am an engineer/programmer. It could be an issue for others. However, they appear to save the data in memos, which means they can be exported and sync'ed to the PC and dropped into Excel or any other spread sheet that accepts comma delimited data.

This is longer than I intended. I will peruse the docs and get back with a more firm opinion.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

This device is capable of stowing away in the little compartment in front of your ash tray. This means that is wont hardly move. The Pocket Dyno Mini is smaler than the palm of your hand, and the Ultra is a little smaller than a Palm III.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

As promised, I've read the docs and here is my considered opinion: this is a neat gadget and at the sale prices, I can't see any reason not to get one. In fact, I just ordered one.

I mentioned programming before. On reflection, I think you could do anything you needed in excel. Their resolution is 20ms (50Hz sample rate) so it is just a matter of iteratively applying the standard equations you can get from several books or from several sites on the web. If this isn't clear, I could expand on it later.

Thanks for the find! If you have a plam, take a look at www.auteraweb.com. They have an ODBII scanner that looks pretty good too, but I am not decided on it yet.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Carlk, it is a bad link. Please repost, i'm very curious about this item.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Try this one:

http://www.auterraweb.com/index.html
Old 06-30-2003, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Oops. Sorry - I see I dropped an 'r'. What did you think? I went ahead and got the Auterra also.

Carl
Old 06-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Launching!

All I can say is that a Dynojet works by simply measure acceleration, and that is exactly how these devices work. As long as the accelerometer is calibrated properly, and the resolution is at least 10hz, it should be accurate within a few percent.

Dave
Old 06-30-2003, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Oops. Sorry - I see I dropped an 'r'. What did you think? I went ahead and got the Auterra also.

Carl
That looks like a really nice unit and one of my friends has one but I haven't seen it yet. I am going to order one over the next few days too.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

Hawkfsh, do yo have a website, because if you do I've been there. If you don't, then your car is a replica of someone elses with the side decals, and the last of breed emblem. Well anyways, I took a look at the little auterra thing and must say, I'm very impressed. But since I won't be doing major mods for 2 years, I see no reason to get it now.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Launching!

CamaroSS, my website is here. There is someone else with the same car and decals as mine but I don't have his website.

I just ordered one of the Auterra units and will tell everyone what I think of it after I get to play with it for a while.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah its yours I went too. I love the site!
Old 07-05-2003, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

My PocketDyno arrived. I hooked it up and calibrated it. Haven't tried it in the car yet, but I am quite impressed. The package is tiny! The software looks good. One down side I see, which the G-Tech shares, is that you have to go from a standing start to get times. This is not easy with an M6 and street tires. However, you can use the logging function and go from a roll, noting the nail it and back off speeds and go from there. It also occurs that this will be great to finally get the rolling and air resistance. Just get up to 60 or more and kick it into neutral. Start logging as you pass through 60 or 50 or whatever and stop at 20 or 30 or whatever. With the negative acceleration and the two speeds, you can compute air/rolling resistance. I haven't thought it through yet, but if you do a second order fit on the curve of the data, the squared term should be air resistance and the the linear term should be rollng resistance.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Erf. I forgot to mention something. I ordered the pro model because it was only $50 more and I figured maybe I'd use it in the future. I got an e-mail from Brennan asking if I was sure. If I was only going to log with my Palm, I might as well save the $50! When was the last time a vendor talked you out of spending money?