PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running way to lean in cold open loop. How do I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running way to lean in cold open loop. How do I fix it?

As you can see when I give it a little throttle it runs lean. How do I go about fixing this? As you probably figured out I have EFI Live and a LC-1 wideband.

I messed up and did not record the feedback from the Lc-1 but it mostly follows the commanded fuel.

The second log has pid's for Auto Ve and it shows the LC-1.

MYfirebird start prog from doug 12-10-07.tun

first cold start log bird.efi

SD lean part throttle cold.efi
Old 12-22-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im pretty sure I have to change my b3605 table but why dose it only use this table with throttle? it snaps back to good fuel ratio when their is no throtle. Dose it get its idle fuel ratio from another table?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a pro tuner so the tune file had me puzzled. What injectors??
couple other little things...
Old 12-23-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I am not a pro tuner so the tune file had me puzzled. What injectors??
couple other little things...
Mototron 60# injectors
If you look at the cold open loop file its really messed up. Why would you command such lean fuel ratios.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

You have a PM.

R/

Frat
Old 12-23-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

At first I was going to suggest restarting from stock but I did some research just in case and found this:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11164

Appearently, with these injectors require you to lie to the PCM so in theory if you try to make the tune file reflect rational numbers you might actually cause more harm.

Without closely watching your WB I would be careful about making changes even if you think it might help!!

Hopefully, the PM from the previous member helped you out, too. Maybe some other people will join on in and take a look at the tune. The fudged numbers are appearently confusing for us. Some of the board members might see them as typical for those mods....
Old 12-23-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

If you are lean on startup, then add to the main and backup ve tables. Make sure they always match also.

The way to see how far off you are is, when the car is in closed loop, look at the strims. You need to turn off long terms while tuning and just go off of the faster reporting strims..
Old 12-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, I would start by putting the OL table back to stock. It's jacked up.
Second, start working the VE. It looks unchanged. The secondary one anyways. You need to work both of them at the same time.
Also, you need to configure your scanner to display the same measurement units as your tune. In other words, your tune displays vacuum in Kpa, and your scanner is set up in in. of hg. Also temp in the tune is C*, and the scanner is F*. These should be the same so you can reference them accordingly.
I would also set it up so your narrowbands are active on your scanner. They're a good reference point to your WB readings.
Lastly, set up your tables in your scanner to plot the A/F correction, and dial in your VE tables. Both primary and secondary AT THE SAME TIME. The secondary is the most important, so make sure that one is changed every time. If you dont know how to do this, your tuner should. If he doesnt, go on the EFIlive forum and they should get you going.
The maf hasnt been failed, its still on. Long terms need to be diabled.
The whole tune is pretty well wacked.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Second, start working the VE. It looks unchanged. The secondary one anyways. You need to work both of them at the same time.
Also, you need to configure your scanner to display the same measurement units as your tune. In other words, your tune displays vacuum in Kpa, and your scanner is set up in in. of hg. Also temp in the tune is C*, and the scanner is F*. These should be the same so you can reference them accordingly.
I would also set it up so your narrowbands are active on your scanner. They're a good reference point to your WB readings.
Lastly, set up your tables in your scanner to plot the A/F correction, and dial in your VE tables. Both primary and secondary AT THE SAME TIME. The secondary is the most important, so make sure that one is changed every time. If you dont know how to do this, your tuner should. If he doesnt, go on the EFIlive forum and they should get you going.
Yup. That was my thought. The displacement is wrong too so the VE doesn't reflect what is really there.

The MAF is lower than stock.

The Main VE is lower than stock but the IFR is very high.

The Com afr is wacked but everything else is off to make the Real AFR correct again.

That means the spark table doesn't reflect what is really going on either.

It would take careful massaging or starting from stock again.

BECAUSE THE PCM HAS LIMITS ON HOW RICH OR LEAN IT WILL COMMAND YOUR TUNE ISN'T POSSIBLE. Hence many of the problems. Especially in open loop.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Banned

Didnt even look at the displacement.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have not changed the tune at all this is a Dyno Tune I recived.
I want to know what Im changing and how it all work before I dive in an screwup a good Lsx 454.

I plan on doing the Auto Ve first but we have alot of snow here so I can't drive it. Im not sure why it read c and f for you but when I look at it, it all matches Hg and F*

I also plan on upgrading to the 2002 Operating system.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Didnt even look at the displacement.
Did He do all this fudging to make the mototron 60# injectors work?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

you don't need to lie to your computer about the 60# injectors. you just have to have a FPR or enough idle airflow to take advantage of such a big injector.

how is this a dyno tune you recieved and its running lean? this shop or whoever needs to fix it.

get you an 02 operating system or pcm swap or something. then re-tune. these older pcms i think cannot take the custom OS's...i don't remember all the details... been out of it lately on the car scene.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
you don't need to lie to your computer about the 60# injectors. you just have to have a FPR or enough idle airflow to take advantage of such a big injector.

how is this a dyno tune you recieved and its running lean? this shop or whoever needs to fix it.

get you an 02 operating system or pcm swap or something. then re-tune. these older pcms i think cannot take the custom OS's...i don't remember all the details... been out of it lately on the car scene.
The point in me getting EFI live was to learn how to tune, So I want to learn how to fix it. And with EFI Live I CAN use a 2002 Operating system, their is even a step by step tutorial on how to do it!

Also I know these injector are to big for the current setup but They will be needed later when I install the Ls7 top end!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I saw the lean limit but It actualy commands a ratio leaner than that, Why is that?

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Yup. That was my thought. The displacement is wrong too so the VE doesn't reflect what is really there.

The MAF is lower than stock.

The Main VE is lower than stock but the IFR is very high.

The Com afr is wacked but everything else is off to make the Real AFR correct again.

That means the spark table doesn't reflect what is really going on either.

It would take careful massaging or starting from stock again.

BECAUSE THE PCM HAS LIMITS ON HOW RICH OR LEAN IT WILL COMMAND YOUR TUNE ISN'T POSSIBLE. Hence many of the problems. Especially in open loop.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Can someone answer my biggest Question???

With the overlap I have in the Cam Fool the narrow and or wideband o2 sensors into reading a false lean condition in the lower RPM's???

I need to know if I can trust my Wideband before I make any changes in the lower RPM's!!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Banned

call Me Right Now. I'll Pm You My Phone Number
Old 12-24-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Here is my understanding of it....

A cam with alot of overlap will fool the stock O2's into thinking the engine is running lean. As a result of that, the ECM will command more fuel into the engine in an attemp to correct a "percieved" lean condition. A "chase your tail" scenerio.

Here is what I would do:

1. Save your tune (just in case)
2. Upgrade to the an O2 OS
3. Download the "stock tune migrated to an 02 OS" from Holden Crazy.
4. Open two instances of the EFIlive Tuning Tool.
5. Copy over all pertanent tables from your tune to the tune on the 02 OS.
6. When you get a chance do the AutoVE tutorial.

Like Ed and Six speed have said.... you need to AutoVE. I would suggest the 02 OS first so you dont have to mess with the back-up VE table.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

R/

Frat
Old 12-24-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

call Me Right Now. I'll Pm You My Phone Number

Now THATS customer service.

R/

Frat
Old 12-24-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fratsit
Now THATS customer service.

R/

Frat
Wow no kidding!! Thanks for the info!! I will be Auto Ve ing as soon as the snow and salt is gone!!!!