Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mode $06 diagnostic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mode $06 diagnostic?

Does anyone have a source of information on Mode $06. Either a book or article(web based) or even a tutorial. So far the info I've got is limited at best.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Mode 06

Whose Mode 06 data are you looking for? Ford, GM, etc. I can probably help.....
Old 12-23-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM for the most part, but from my reading thus far I'm getting the impression it is more scan tool dependant rather than manufacturer brand dependant. You might be using a Mastertech, Solus, Genisys, Modus, MT2500 or Tech2 scan tool for example. If I understand this correctly the way Mode $06 works is tied more closely to the scan tool you happen to be using rather than the particular brand of vehicle you're using it on. Can I get generic Mode $06 information since the EPA mandates OBDII and therefore Mode $06 or must I get scan tool or vehicle manufacturer brand specific information? I'd really like to start with more generic information to get a better overall understanding of Mode $06 and after that narrow it down to a particular vehicle brand or particlar scan tool.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Mode 06

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
GM for the most part, but from my reading thus far I'm getting the impression it is more scan tool dependant rather than manufacturer brand dependant. You might be using a Mastertech, Solus, Genisys, Modus, MT2500 or Tech2 scan tool for example. If I understand this correctly the way Mode $06 works is tied more closely to the scan tool you happen to be using rather than the particular brand of vehicle you're using it on. Can I get generic Mode $06 information since the EPA mandates OBDII and therefore Mode $06 or must I get scan tool or vehicle manufacturer brand specific information? I'd really like to start with more generic information to get a better overall understanding of Mode $06 and after that narrow it down to a particular vehicle brand or particlar scan tool.
Most tools can get Mode 06 being it is part of the 'generic', or global side of OBD II. In the case of GM, the OE tool (Tech II) does not get Mode 06 however. I use EASE Diagnostics PC based software and it does GM very well. I also use a cheaper PC based software called Auto Enginuity that also does it very well.

Most technicians use Mode 06 on Fords for driveabilty related issues because of the lack of Misfire info in the datastream, generic or enhanced. Mode 06 allows single cyl misfire id to be seen to a certain degree, something not available in Mode 01 (datastream).

Mode 06 shows the status of non-continuously monitored systems, basically everything other than fuel, misfire, and CCM. I know, why can you see Ford Misfire there then......long story. I will copy a couple links to resources which may help.

As far as scan tools are concerned, that is always a tough answer to give to technicians. Basically, you can't beat the OE tool for whoever's car line you are working on for ultimate control and data retrieval. Starscan or StarMobile for Chrysler, IDS for Ford, and a Tech II for GM. As mentioned the Tech II doesn't get you Mode 06, unfortunately Mode 06 access is not mandated, but access to generic powertrain data, DTC's and Freeze Frames is.

Actually, most of the aftermarket tools you listed do Mode 06 quite well, especially the OTC Genesys, it is just knowing where to navigate. If I were an independent wanting to scan all makes and models I would look at the Auto Enginuity PC based tool. For 1K you can get Enhanced GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and 'generic' everything else with very reasonable upgrades. I have used and own everything you listed up top and would say to only invest in PC based equipment from here on out in this industry. AE is very powerful (as good as the OE in most cases) for the domestics. Some aftermarket tools will display the Mode 06 data in raw values, or hex code, depending on the software revision. Not easy to interpret w/o a legend (available @ IATN). Most later software packages have code written to extrapulate the data into lamens terms making it easy to read.

Mode 06 data is not the place to start with data analyzing, get comfortable in Mode 01 (normal datastream) Mode 02 (FF), Mode 03 (DTC's), Mode 07 (pendind DTCs), etc, before getting into monitor status info (Mode 06).

Mode 06 is not live moving data, it is only the results that have been written the last time the monitor ran and completed. Be aware manufacturers can write bogus data here after a DTC clear or monitor erase until the monitor criteria is satisfied again. Some use it to help diagnose systems which take a long time to complete such as Evap or Catalyst, monitors that may have to run 3-5 tests sometimes to complete.

Using Mode 06 allows one to see faults which may be recorded as a failure before the PCM actually sets the failure which allows a tech to gain some early diagnostic direction if interpreted correctly. Mode 06 is a preliminary look at what may turn into a hard fail status DTC and turn the MIL on. With that being said, don't get hung up on 'over****yzing' Mode 06 data, it can be confusing and misleading in some cases. Knowing OE strategy here is important, and althougfh OBD II mandates certain things there is allot of grey area here just like with other operating system strategies between all the OEMs.

See www.iatn.net for a wealth of auto insight, it is well worth the 30.00 membership dues per quarter if you work at making a living on this stuff.

Hope this helps. I have also bought some books from AESWave.com, they have some specific books on the topic at hand.

Last edited by helicoil; 12-23-2007 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Mode $06 diagnostic?