PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Codes after Header Install..........HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes after Header Install..........HELP!!!!

OKay, i just installed a set of JBA shorty headers on my 98 TA. As far as exhaust work, i also have a Mac offraod y-pipe with no cats. O2 sims in place of sensors on the rear.

I let the car sit throught the night after the install to let any RTV seal setup throughly from the flanges on the header to y-pipe connection.

I drove the car to work this morning, not really getting on it or anything....and all seemed fine...no SES light at that time. I did some cruising around later tonight though...with som goofing off and what not to see the difference in the headers...and while going hom....my SES light came on. I put it on the computer, and this is what i got.

P0133 O2 slow 11 Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0153 O2 slow 21 Bank 2 sensor 1

Slow response on them both.

With some more digging, i came across this also. While doing some diagnosing testing, i saw these failures.

$05 R-L switch variable .18 Fail
$06 L-R switch variable .12 Fail

So, i would assume the sensors are okay? I did have them disconnected and what not for the install...otherwise.....nothing happened to them. All the wires are connected back up also. Could it just be that the headers are causing some weird feedback that the computer doesn't know what to do with now?

I need some help on this.....

Thanks!!

Old 06-29-2003, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Codes after Header Install..........HELP!!!!

If you still have your rear sensors replace the front ones with them.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you used RTV silicone to seal the header flanges, you fried your O2 sensors. the RTV blocks the sensors, so they will show low readings. so you better be ready to fork out about $250 for new sensors
Old 06-30-2003, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Yes, i used RTV seal. But, it says on the package it is O2 Sensor safe. Why would it still damage them? When i originally installed my Mac Y-pipe...i used rtv seal on it...and had no issues....

So, this is really my problem then?

So, if i put new O2's in....is the RTV that is on there going to mess up the new ones also?

I can get O2's for $55 each new through a dealership i use in Florida. I don't pay the local $110 each dealer!! Would rather wait a few days and still pay less!!