Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default truck tune

do you think it makes sense to get a dyno tune on my 02 z-71, its got a 6" Fabtec, 35's 4:56's, intake, true duals, and a power programmer III, the only reason i got the programmer was to change the spedo. Never messed with the engine tuning part of it. the only time the truck sees over 2k rpm unless im on the highway goin about 85. the question is do you think id get that much of a difference with a dyno tune over just the programmer for the rpms that my truck sees? I get 13mpg now and I was just gonna push for maybe one or two more but we will see-thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The dyno tune is mainly for WOT tuning. It would be a waste of money for you.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

well a buddy and me got in an arguement over that and he was trying to tell me that they could tune it for more torque at lower rpm so that i should be able to get more mpg out of it. I figured that a tune wouldnt be able to do anything more than a programmer could for the rpms I drive at but we talked for about 45 minutes on that subject so I told him Id post it up here and see what the real experts think.

My buddy knows his **** better than me but unless they try to remap the fuel curve or something then I cant see it happening. but if the fuel map is recurved or based only for low rpm driving then it would mess up the higher rpms if I choose to stomp on it and beat a civic or something else not really worth wasting my gas on...it is fun to beat a ricer with a lifted truck though
Old 01-02-2008, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by venomhp
well a buddy and me got in an arguement over that and he was trying to tell me that they could tune it for more torque at lower rpm so that i should be able to get more mpg out of it. I figured that a tune wouldnt be able to do anything more than a programmer could for the rpms I drive at but we talked for about 45 minutes on that subject so I told him Id post it up here and see what the real experts think.

My buddy knows his **** better than me but unless they try to remap the fuel curve or something then I cant see it happening. but if the fuel map is recurved or based only for low rpm driving then it would mess up the higher rpms if I choose to stomp on it and beat a civic or something else not really worth wasting my gas on...it is fun to beat a ricer with a lifted truck though
Your buddy is right, a good tune WILL benefit you, especially in a truck, GM has the cals inthose things so dumbed down its rediculous.

Now as for the Dyno part, if all they are gonna do is some top end pulls then thats not a good tune anyways, a real tune should involve dyno for top end and street tuning for driveability etc,

In short a GOOD tune will make a world of difference in your truck
Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could see a possible 1.5 to 2 mpg with a proper tune. The handheld programmers are ok, but every vehicle responds differently to tuning. And, with those big old tires and gears, you will definaitly benifit from a more customized tune.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

will do theres a shop not far from the house thats having a special on a tune for $300 bucks, Ill have to give it a try...but then I wouldnt be able to change it like I could with the programmer...but I could probably just sell it and get my money back..