Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd engine problem

My setup is 2002 ls1, ls6 heads, small cam, bolt ons, and a 150 wet shot tuned. I ran the car out at a spot a couple days ago and all went well, driving it back to the meet spot cruising along the car sputtered and died... While it was sputtering to a low ide it had no throtle response whatsoever. I trailored the car back home and just got around to trying to solve the problem.

I checked the codes and there were no CEL's whatsoever. I made sure there was gas in it, it has fuel, spark.. When i crank it it is very hard to get running but once running it idles at 100-400rpm had has NO throtle response whatsoever then 2-5 seconds of poor idle and it dies. I have no idea where to look next. I need to get this thing fixed
Old 01-02-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

You might want to check and see if your fuel solenoid on the nitrous kit isn't leaking into the engine. Lots of times they will get trash in them, and stick open a little.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

anyone else???
Old 01-03-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have you checked your TPS sweep with an analogue multimeter. I say analog (kind with a needle) so you can see exactly what the TPS is doing. Most digital multimeters will buffer out a dip or something else going on. Maybe an O2 sensor or something but I don't know enough about GM ecu's to know if they'll go open loop if you unplug one. What exactly changed on the car the past few days before this happened? One last question, what's your fuel pressure under cranking and for the few seconds its running?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Have you done a compression check?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your fuel pressure? Sounds to me like a dying fuel pump.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a customers car with a problem like that. Unplug the MAF and see if it helps.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

i am running 2x walbro 255 in tanks. they both kick on, and i am running a stock vette FPR. This motor setup is in a 93 rx7. I took off the intake today to check for cracks and see if the vacume lines were ok, it all checked out fine. I took out the plugs and they were fouled out and covered in fuel. I do not belive fould plugs are the cause of this, i belive that the fouled plugs are the result of another problem. I will throw another set in there and check the TPS and MAF which i cant understand why they would not throw a CEL code if they were out of spec. Thaks for the replys and any other suggestions will be apreciated.

Andrew-