Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran into torrential rainstorm now 2001 SS runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran into torrential rainstorm now 2001 SS runs like crap

Managed to limp it home , felt like it was running on 4 cylinders! Checked it the following morning , there was water sitting on top of the ecu! wiped it of , started it and it idled fine. Took it up the road and gave it some stick it started coughing and spluttering again this time the ses started flashing. Have i messed up the ecu?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Stop hammering on the car
2. Take the lid off and check your air filter (I'm guessing it got wet)
3. If it got wet, replace it

I had something very similar happen to mine, and it was a wet filter.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd get a scanner to the car and see what the code(s) are too.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would park it in the garage... check the air filter.... pull the air plenum off the intake and pull all the spark plugs and let it sit overnight, probalby sucked up water and you need to let it all evaporate or you could hydrolock your motor.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it sucked up water (air filter wet) The Maf sensor it probably junk also. Check your SES codes and report back!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Teching In

the air filter wasnt wet, havent had a chance to check codes yet. will report back tomorrow!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Not to rain on your parade, but usually a flashing SES indicates a misfire condition. It may already be too late since you 'gave it some stick'. Do as suggested above to let any ingested water evaporate... and cross your fingers!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any updates?
Old 01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

check the filter, and drain the oil. There is a chance you sucked up a bunch of water and it got in the oil. Check for codes once you do the oil change.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Default HELP Similar problems with rain and engine not starting

I currently have a similar problem with the rain and now my car not starting. 1998 Camaro highly modified LS1 twin turbo with factory ECU. I placed front end on ramps several evenings ago to be ready and work on it in the morning without having to start it up and wake the neighbors. Got about 3 inches of rain that night and some dripped through passenger side firewall (had hood off, tarp covering engine compartment, and car cover on), and made a very small pudle of water on front passenger side carpet. I saw it dripping very slowly under passenger dash near center console. Sunny day that day so all dried up and I did some suspension work. At end of day, tried to start and sounded like trying to start on about 2 cylinders. After several attempts and smell of gas, it now makes no ignition sounds at all. I have done all sorts of sensor tests, etc., checked fuses, etc. Found engine sensor 20 amp fuse blown and isolated a short on a Metripack connector next to the ECU on passenger side under hood, disconnected it and now fuse does not blow. I have not yet traced the connector to where it goes - either through firewall or under car to transmission. Must be tranny sensors, which are disconnected anyway due to powerglide tranny installed. It was a 6 speed. I have not yet unplugged ECU to see if H2O got in there. ALl O2 and other sensors are working fine and test well. Have not yet tested for spark or ignition. Any suggestions????. Frustrated. Michael Breaux. mdbreaux@eatel.net