PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patrick G or Tuning god please enter!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patrick G or Tuning god please enter!!!!

Ok after lot and lots of time f with this thing it is together and running . ls6 heads stg2 tourqer v 3 camshaft.... It runs great ..... exept at idle and this doesnt happen all the time , but when i come to a stop it surges and then does it so bad it will die. I tried unplugging the maf and try sd and see if that would help but it didnt ....... Patrick G sent me the tune of a similiar setup and that is what i am running in it . If i can just get this figured out i will be all good......also it this cam gonna be little noiseir than the tr224 sounds the same as far a sowing machine sound just little louder........ ok gut what do you think?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Teching In

are you using as battery cuttoff? if your pcm looses power it has to relearn the idle everytime which takes like 10 minutes or so.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try playing with the 400RPM column of your main VE table and get
it to where the O2s switch or sit lean at low idle RPM. Rich errors
make the motor slower to respond and mess up the idle RPM loop.
Add some idle timing perhaps and definitely check that the idle
adaptive spark underspeed table does not "quit on you" with zeroes
in the large-underspeed columns (as is in some stock tunes like my
'02).

If you can hold the motor at low IAC count and find what VE and
spark values make the highest RPM, that's telling you what it likes.
Use less than your "best" spark advance so the adaptive spark has
room to help you. You don't want more spark to make less RPM,
that's upside down and makes unstable.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Default Shiiiiiiiit

ok when out for a drive acted fine................ stop gas station left it running came back out wouldnt idle for **** after i took off????????? Got home plugged in predetor to check it out alittle and spark was at 6.8degrees at idle ? i adjusted the idle set screw and that made it idle just higher so i lowered it with the predetor and know it wants to hang at 1700 forever before coming down . damn it
Old 01-19-2008, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not a tuning god or Pat G but...

what is your AFR when the car is "faltering" .... bet it's fat
Old 01-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
not a tuning god or Pat G but...
Mr Modest........
Old 01-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Banned

What Jimmy said. Most of the time it too much fueling in the low rpm columns. When the rpms dip, it basically gags on fuel. Leaning it out through there, along with increasing the timing in the lower rpms, higher grams.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Default hmmm

what about the bucking,,,,,,, 1000 rpm to 2000 . any touch of the throttle the timong goes to 40.4 and stay until i let out of the gas? I will have to call me tuner to see if he can adjust it and send me the tune for my predetor. So what should i tell him . Directly word for word ?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Unhappy THOUGHTS!!!!!! FROST, Patrick, Anyone?

OK so here is the deal. 2002 camaro 6 speed,

I drove the **** out of this thing this weekend dicking with it.. Alls i have is a predetor and yes i know it cant be tuned with this. It was a custom tune sent to me by Patrick G and then i Sent it to my tuner who put it on the predetors software who then emailed to me to download the tune. So i can have everything changed when i need it to be . So what I am looking for it .....

The car bucks bad 900 to 2100 it will keep bucking.

The idle is all over the place , but not all the time . Mainly after a full throttle run and then i push the clutch in it drop really low and then surges about 10 times before finding it idle.

The lt fuel trims are around -.78 and - 2.48

That is with injector slop adjusted down 12 percent. Witch has to mean i am running lean. I am sure the 28.8 injectors are at full duty cycle and me adjust them down is cause me to lose power. But that is the only way i can get the lifts down

I have added timing from 1200 to 1800 20percent this did help the idle a bit?

At wot the mv on the o 2 sensors are around 930 mv

The timing at idle is any where from 14.6 to 23.0 ...

Any touch of the throttle makes it jump and stay at 40.04 (timing)

Wot timing is at 28.5

IF you have a place to start please tell me what i should tell me tuner word for word... Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to have him flat line the timing at idle to around 23 deg. Whats happening is the IAC and the timing are fighting over the idle. I could do all of this for you if you send me the PCM, but not sure if you want to go that route. I should look into getting the Predator stuff.

Anywho, I suppose I shouldn't give too many of my secrets away.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Default Ok

So that what i tell him ? Flatline idle at 23 .? what about the bucking?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

you are prolly gonna **** him off if you tell him how to tune your car.... and if he needs to be told what to to do, he probably isn't the best guy for the job unfortunately.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Frost
you are prolly gonna **** him off if you tell him how to tune your car.... and if he needs to be told what to to do, he probably isn't the best guy for the job unfortunately.
Yep.........
Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

Something else to think about is what your timing advance is when you let off the gas. I'm not a tuning god, but I did run into something like this while playing around with my wifes SUV. I deleted the torque management. When I logged it, the timing was advancing WAY further that it used to when I would decelerate after letting off the gas, causing the car to sputter and almost die. Log the timing curve when you let off the gas and see what kind of advance you are getting. You may need to back off the timing advance at this point.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ncnumber8
Something else to think about is what your timing advance is when you let off the gas. I'm not a tuning god, but I did run into something like this while playing around with my wifes SUV. I deleted the torque management. When I logged it, the timing was advancing WAY further that it used to when I would decelerate after letting off the gas, causing the car to sputter and almost die. Log the timing curve when you let off the gas and see what kind of advance you are getting. You may need to back off the timing advance at this point.

That was a good catch, and it reinforces the importance of keeping logs and using them properly in aiding an issue.

Last edited by Frost; 01-22-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: can't spell when typing fast I guess...
Old 01-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Banned

Thank you. I am still learning though. Someday I might pull my training wheels off. LOL

This stuff is alot of fun and I am always learning new stuff each time I pick it up!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

What do you tell your tuner? Exactly what you are telling everyone here. If he cannot figure it out, go elsewhere..Granted there is several possibilities and changes that might need to be made in different areas but he should be able to know which parameter/parameters to adjust...