PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner question plus self tune or dyno tune

Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner question plus self tune or dyno tune

Can i gain more from getting my car dyno tuned at a perf shop. Or is it possible to gain the same doing it myself. Plus I need to tune out o2 sensor codes and stuff like that. Is that possible with most hand helds?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on your goal. If you want instant gratification, get a dyno tune. If you don't mind spending the time and expense, tune it yourself. A hand-held is not going to satisfy your requirements for maximum power. You would need to buy a tuning suite, a wideband, and a book on tuning, such as Banish's. And already own a laptop, of course. The nice thing about tuning it yourself is that you can continually tune it if you add more mods. If you get a dyno tune, you would have to have it retuned for major mods (but the retune normally costs less than the first tune).
Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

So after i get it figured out with a top and a tuning suite i can do just as much as with a dyno tune? what exactly does a wideband do?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Teching In

What would be better a dyno tune or just a tune? I am getting pacesetter headers and y. So, is one better than the other more increase in power gain??????
Old 01-22-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like the self tune its pretty easy and i personly think you can do more yrself then the dyno tune. becuase you can spend more time on it. the wideband is so you can see your afr throughout the rpms and map reading
Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, SLP4CamaroSS. Not sure if I would call it easy, but it is certainly doable. And a self tune is a street and a track tune, which gives you real world tuning versus strapping the car to a dyno and doing it there.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

well it help i that i got a degree in computer information systems lol i guess
Old 01-23-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Do it yourself tuning is great for streetability driving, But a Dyno tune will get your A/F spot on at idle and WOT unless you have a wideband. The most important point in a dyno tune is letting you know where your power band is, I have said and seen this numerous times where customers told me that they were (thought) making HP up to 6600-6800 RPMS and shifting in that area when in fact it was all over with by 6200. Spinning the motor for nothing...But again you can also test this at the track by shifting at different RPM's and check your TRAP SPEED not E.T...
Old 01-23-2008, 07:50 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Get software and do it yourself. No one says you cant go do a dyno tune on your own you know. Most shops charge around 100-150 hr for dyno time. Get the driveability dialed first. Then hit the dyno for perfect a/f and your golden. Of course you can always buy a WB and skip the dyno but as said abve having the power info is very helpful for track use as well.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

You will probably get the most driver friendly tune by tuning it yourself. Simply because you will have a longer period of time to test it under several conditions (weather, load, etc). You will however need to spend a little time on the dyno to get the most out of your tune. WOT tuning is much easier and safer on the dyno than the street and timing changes can effect the HP you put down. Without a visual on how the timing is affecting your HP you're pretty much guessing based on the "feel" of the car.

Search this Thread