Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wideband questions

I'm looking at getting a Wideband o2 sensor so that I can do some tuning with HPtuner. I got a few questions so I don't go out and buy extra stuff that I don't need.

First, I'll be using this on 2 vehicles. Initially it will be for my '99 vette. Reading through some stuff, it looks like my best choice is to add in a wire into the non existant EGR PCM input. The second vehicle will be my '68 pickup that I'm dropping an '05 5.3L into it. I'll use a similar method to obtain the voltage readings.

So here are some of the criteria/considerations:
1st, it has to be easily removable from each vehicle. I can make up a plug pretty easy to unhook it, and use a bung plug to plug the hole.....so I won't need an O2 sensor that will do both narrowband and wideband.

2nd. I don't want a wideband gage. Like I said, it's only for tuning and is only temporary. But reading through some threads, people are using thier in car gages to correct the output that HPtuner is displaying. I don't know if this is caused by the gauge itself or what (voltage drop across the gage?).

So knowing what I'm looking for, I've looked at some o2 sensors that vendors sell, and I'm confused. Most of them are available with little boxes that log data for you. Well I don't need one of those right (that's why I have HPtuner, right)

So I'm wondering, can I just get the wideband O2 sensor and wire it to the EGR input (and ground if needed) and its that simple? Does it need to be heated or controlled or anything like that.

So knowing all of this and my use, which o2 sensor would be recommended for my application?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into the LC-1 Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Controller, available from many sponsors on this site.

Look at http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...idcategory=118 THey have them at the lowest price Ive found. I think they are listed at 199 but will knock off $30 for LS1Tech memebers.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks like it should work!

Next question. Where do I put the O2 sensor. I have headers that then go into bullet type mufflers, then an X-pipe, and then out the tailpipe. I was thinking near the collector of one of the headers, or behind the X to get more of an average reading.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Banned

You don't want to put the sensor behind a cat or muffler. Header collector is ok, but I prefer the pipe just following the collector. I have the LC-1 and very happy with it. But if I had 2 vehicles like you stated, and wasn't worried about parting ways with another $100, I'd go ahead and get the LM-1. Its much easier to move from car to car.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 LM-1. Very portable. Does exactly what you are discussing.