Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KR setting off Low Octane tables... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 12:50 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KR setting off Low Octane tables... HELP

Ok, if my car see's xxx amount of KR on the qtr mi, and pulls timing, is it pulling it across the board, or does it pull only at certian RPMs or conditions. How much KR does it take to set the Low Octance Table into effect? What is the table called that modifies the recovery to High Octane table, so when the flase KR, is not seen anymroe the PCM switches back over to High Octane map? And finally is copying the High Octane table over the Low Octane minus a degree the best way to compensate for false KR?

TIA.

Charlie
Old 07-11-2003, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: KR setting off Low Octane tables... HELP

unless u toss 100oct in there u have no idea if its false or not... figure out why its false? and fix that... you go from 28 deg to 19 deg timing from High to Low Oct Tables. Check and see if the big cam is causing u misfires. It only pulls timing when the sensors read it. Unless you are getting it all the time then I believe it anticipates it. Delta KR ( i think in Edit )

Either way I would try figuring out if it is really False by KR and if it is Figure out where and fix it. Also depending on weather changes u might be down from ur best time with that alone. I was running same MPH after my heads/cam as I was with just Cam... but day was 3000 w/ heads/cam setup
Old 07-11-2003, 04:41 AM
Restricted User

I see where you are coming from. I run 92 oct all the time unless I am spraying, then run 116 mix. I dont see any KR on the street. Normally when I launch, and sometimes during a burnout I do, worse with the ET Streets though. Could be from running too rich or lean and I will check that out as well, but I wonder cuz going to the track, I can nail it at a light and fry the tires, or pedal it out and then wack it and no KR, but at the track----KR. How much timing do you run after tuning w/ your H/C? I have raised mine 2* and didnt change the KR, still a little at the track and NONE on the street. Got 31.4* if I recall @ WOT. But w/ KR, yep good ole 19* or less.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

It is not how much as much as how often knock is being reported. The PCM then via the adaptive stratagy assumes you have a bad tank of gas and sets a bad gas bit.
Your now stuck in low octane timing table until the PCM sees there is at least 20% more fuel in the tank from the last time key was turned off and then turned on.

Proper tuning of the PCM calibration via LS1edit and you can tune how sensitive knock is, how engine acts to knock and how much timing can be pulled when knock is triggered.

I use Ca smog street gas, engine is 11.3:1 compression and with the tune have zero knock or misfire even at 28 degrees timing during PE and WOT.