PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YIKES ! Think I screwed up the PCM.. Is there any hope?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default YIKES ! Think I screwed up the PCM.. Is there any hope?

BACKGROUND INFO : I'm an LT1 guy first off. I have LT1edit and AutoTap. I've used both numerous times with no problems. I use a Dell laptop 1.6GHz, 1.5GB RAM.... when using either of these programs.

PROBLEM : CAR WONT START NOW.... I wanted to adjust my idle speed just a bit and see how it would run/sound. I opened my file, changed some numbers and saved the file. Then I hooked up my LT1edit cables like I always have and went through the motions for it to connect and upload/program the file to the PCM. It just sat there like it was doing nothing although the dialog box was open as if it was trying. It kept saying trying to reestablish connection with PCM over and over. I let it keep doing that for about an hour till I finally figured I'm screwed and unplugged the cables and cursed the car gods.

SOME MORE INFO : The cables I use are well kept and not banged up or abused. The only thing I have done with them is coil them up and store'em in the red AutoTap carry case. That case pretty much just sits on the floor in the back seat. I have not done any electronic work on the car in a while. Never messed with the OBDII port other than plugging these cables in. Last time I programmed the PCM was end of november 2007. The laptop was running on battery power and had over 3 hours left still when I shut it all down. The LT1edit program is used to edit the PCM file but, the program that handles writing and reading of the PCM is : PCM OBD-II Programmer Version 0.96. It came along with the LT1edit software bundle. I tried uninstalling LT1edit and all its software, rebooting and then reinstalling the software in hopes that the SW was the flaw. No luck. The one last thing that I must mention is I'm using a belkin USB to Serial adapter since my laptop has no serial port and the LT1edit cable needs a serial connection. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for that device.

I dont know why this stuff decided to screw up on me but, it worked many times in the past and I did nothing different than what I've done in the past and it screwed up.

SOOOO, what are my options? I'm thinking about looking for a newer version or maybe a different PCM programmer software. I'm thinking about sending my LT1edit cable back to carputing and have them check it out and make sure thats not the problem. And I'm thinking worse case, I have to mail my PCM off to somebody to fix or get a new totally new PCM.

yeah yeah.. I bet somebodies going to say its time for OBD-I swap or time or LS1 swap.. haha... not something I'm really interested in...

Last edited by hyperzone; 02-17-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-17-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes. That has worked for me on a few 96-97 LT1s that wouldn't start after a programming glitch with OBD2 Tunercat. The only one that fried the PCM would run the fans as soon as you would turn the key on. A blown cig lighter fuse would keep you from connecting, but wouldn't keep the car from starting.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll check into any suggestions... The car will just crank and crank and crank, seemed like all power stuff still worked (windows, locks, alarm, radio, lights - didn't check the cig lighter though) but it will not fire up. It might have started to delete the tune and then blew the fuse... maybe...??? who knows... Definitely will check back in this afternoon with how it went, for now I'm off to work!

Last edited by hyperzone; 02-18-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

All fuses checked out okay. I disconnected the battery for about 5-10 minutes and that seemed to do the trick. The car started fine after reconnecting the battery. I proceeded to retry my failed upload again after that and had no more problems. Actually changed the tune 3 times before I drove off. Weird.... dont know why I encountered problems yesterday but, at least I didn't have to mail off my PCM and fork up the money! Thanks for the suggestions guys.