Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is it running rich

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is it running rich

Ok i have a 98 camaro the first motor in it was a ls1 with comp cam 585/595 headers,and flowmaster exhaust. I pulled that motor out and put a ls6 motor in with heads,large cam everything is the same intake,headers, oh i also put borla exhaust on it. Anyway know when i crank it up it is running very rich(smell gas and see smoke out the back) I was wondering if its just because of the different motor or do i need to check something else. I live about 4 hours away from a tuner and dont want to drive that far and have something else wrong other than just the tune........It did not run rich before the motor change Any help please THANKS........
Old 02-21-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

What injector size are u running? You need to make sure your IFR #'s are correct. Also, whats you're fuel pressure at?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

Its the same 28# injectors that was in it before the motor change. I dont know what the ifr#'s are i dont not have a laptop for my car... When my motor was put in the guy cracked a few spark plugs it did not what to run at all i changed them out but it is running rich. You think i might have done something to the O2 sensers............
Old 02-22-2008, 07:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

What MAF did you put on it? The LS6 maf curve is quite a bit leaner than an LS1, if you have the LS6 maf on there that could be your issue.
You would just need to rescale it for the LS6 maf.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by neals98
Ok i have a 98 camaro the first motor in it was a ls1 with comp cam 585/595 headers,and flowmaster exhaust. I pulled that motor out and put a ls6 motor in with heads,large cam everything is the same intake,headers, oh i also put borla exhaust on it. Anyway know when i crank it up it is running very rich(smell gas and see smoke out the back) I was wondering if its just because of the different motor or do i need to check something else. I live about 4 hours away from a tuner and dont want to drive that far and have something else wrong other than just the tune........It did not run rich before the motor change Any help please THANKS........
Different motor, different cam, different heads, its not gonna run right until you get it tuned. Are you popping any codes now?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

If you think the O2s are in question, you could always pull them out and "torch" them with a map or propane torch to cook off most of the crud then reinstall them and see if the problem clears up for awhile... then you know u probably need new O2s.

But I agree, with the amount of changes you've done you need a tune before you can expect it to run normally.

-Eagle
Old 02-22-2008, 09:09 AM
9 Second Club

I will check codes today. I was just trying to make sure its not anything else before i drive a long distance to find out i have a problem that i have to fix before a tune can be done........
Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by neals98
I will check codes today. I was just trying to make sure its not anything else before i drive a long distance to find out i have a problem that i have to fix before a tune can be done........
Without looking at your car im not gonna say nothing is wrong, but from what you describe its running exactly how i would expect it to untuned with the changes you made.

If your not popping any codes id feel pretty confident about getting it tuned.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks you.......... i will check codes today and do like you said...........
Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the difference between your "590" cam before,
and the "large" cam now, duration & overlap? That can
really spoof the O2 sensors, getting a high overlap and
trying to turn a low idle RPM. You put uncombusted air
onto the O2s, making it think it's actually lean; also
wimp out the low RPM breathing and not it draws less
air than it thinks (and fuels for). Double whammy.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be in the tune. Not being tuned for the new combo. Could be too that something like the coolant sensor is unplugged/damaged, etc.
Could be several things. Without some scan data or something, its all just guessin...........
Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Well I did a engine change, Had a 5.3 with a Magna Charger, Supermaxx headers with hi-flow cats and a 50 Flowmaster cat back, 1.85 Comp mag roller rocker, Comp push rods, Beehive springs and their rpm kit, Razor alky injection so I could run 10 pounds of boost and pump gas, It was cold the day I was racing last year and it was running pretty rich so when I pulled up to the line I turned the alky off, I know I have been racing for a long time, Well half way down the strip it felt like I blew a tire so I let off and on the return lane I checked it out and everything was fine so I went back to the line and man cut a .00 light and could push it a little harder and didn't have to let off in 2nd., My best run but then the check engine light was on and it felt like I had a cam so we checked it and one of the plugs was bent flat, Broke a piston, I know a long story, Well I was going to rebuild the 5.3 with forged parts to hold up better so the builder a friend of mine started pricing racing parts for a 5.3 and said this is crazy , He said let's have it wet sleeved to a 427 if we are going to do a build let's do a build, We looked and priced and talked to Lingenfelter and they said you would be better off finding a block and building a LS3 so as luck would have it I found a brand new Z06 block and we put a eagle stroker balanced crank with H-Rods and 30 over JE pistons, Came out a hair over 6.2, Got a set of Dart 225 heads and a Lingenfelter GT-2 cam, Everything else we changed over from the 5.3 other than we put a ATI super damper on, I have a HPTuner so we put the 5.3 tune in it and upped the tomming and hit the key and it fired right up, It had a list of code as long as your arm, The friend took it out for a 10 mile drive and it run great so he shut it off and changed the oil and I took it and drove it hard off and on for 50 miles and we changed the oil again, We just turned all the codes off since it run good and everything worked, I did lose 5 pounds of boost as this engine breaths so much better, When I thought it was ready I took it out and made a 1/4 mile run or tired to, It just blows the tires off even in 2nd. and 3rd. but it didn't smoke and the FA was 14 just driving and 9.5 when you got on it, I am going to have it dyno tuned but man it runs so good, I know some things are not as good as it should be but I have drove it about 400 miles with no problems
Old 02-23-2008, 03:21 PM
9 Second Club

I cleared the codes a little while ago and it does not run as rich as it was. all i smell is just a little bit which is going to happen with no cats. Now all i need is the tune..
Old 02-24-2008, 09:35 AM
9 Second Club

I pulled a few plugs from each bank and there look great. before they where black and had fuel on them.................

Quick Reply: why is it running rich