PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed up MAF table affect WOT performance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed up MAF table affect WOT performance?

Basically, late last year I took a wild hair and decided to take my car to the track. Lots of stuff left to do; but I wanted to go before bad weather hit. Any how, I had recently taken the resistor out of my SLP 85mm MAF with the intention of putting my stock one back on until I could tune for the other. As I said I still had a lot to do. Forgot about the MAF and the car still being on a stock MAF table and went to the track. I noticed on the way to the track that when going down the road and hitting WOT the car would break up for a while and then slowly go on. I knew then what I had done but I was almost to the track. Car did crappy and I'm trying to get this sorted out so I can go while it is still cool weather. I got on HP tuners website and pasted Jimmyblues MAF file onto mine and the car does not break up like it did. I know it isn't correct but I figured it would get me closer then I was. Long story short, how bad was this affecting my car at the track? It didn't seem to be busting up really noticeable coming out of the hole at the track; but it would fall on its face shortly after take off. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks for any input.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, WOT tuning relies almost exclusively on the maf transfer function for calculating the dynamic cylinder airflow. It needs to be correct.

Ryan
Old 02-27-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I thought that it did; but I'm still trying to learn about tuning.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch You need a wideband A/F gauge. BAD Lean is hot. You can hurt your engine quike if you are careful. Get a wideband set A/F to 12.8 at WOT. Do it before you WOT.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I've got a wideband. I had just been having issues with it at the time. I think it was running real rich instead of lean because after the last pass it threw a code. Checked it and it was a rich code. I know rich isn't good either. Thanks for the input guys. Any idea how big of an affect this would have on performance? Having basically a stock truck or ZO6 MAF with the stock 75 mm MAF tables entered.