Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 dies when load is put on the engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ls1 dies when load is put on the engine

ok, first it would start up and idling very bad. when i'd unplug the MAF sensor, it would idle great- but once id drive it without the MAF it would die and take a hard time to start back up. i replaced the MAF, and i know the MAF was a problem because with the new MAF it doesnt idle bad when its plugged it(the other one would idle bad when plugged, w/ this one plugged in its fine)

but i think i have another problem besides the MAF, i went on a test drive and it died INSTANTLY i put a load on the engine. if i gave it a little powerbrake it would die, if i romped on it- it dies. now it wont start back up!

what is associated w/ the engine shutting off when there is a load put on it? also, i hooked the fuel pressure gauge to it and im getting 55-60psi constant
Old 02-28-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

also to add, once this problem started with the engine starting/staying running- my OBD2 reader will not connect to the pcm- only when it fires up it will communicate, and sometimes that that it will lose connection for a second
Old 02-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me it sounds like your VE tables are not right. I would try adding some fuel. But log it first to see whats actually going on when you give it gas.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
but i think i have another problem besides the MAF, i went on a test drive and it died INSTANTLY i put a load on the engine. if i gave it a little powerbrake it would die, if i romped on it- it dies. now it wont start back up!

what is associated w/ the engine shutting off when there is a load put on it? also, i hooked the fuel pressure gauge to it and im getting 55-60psi constant
First and foremost, you need to datalog it to help analyze and pinpoint the problem. Otherwise, it's a shot in the dark.

I'll give it a shot;
* It almost sounds like it has too much fuel (once again a guess). Check the plugs immediately after cranking (assuming it doesn't start) for raw fuel.

* Fuel pressure is good

* The stalling problem is probably too little airflow in D (drive) and too low of an idle speed as well. Increasing these incremently until the idle stabilizes should help.

* Drilling a small hole in the TB blade and adjusting the idle setscrew will help increase airflow.

Do you have details of the motors (modifications, trans type, etc)?
Also, do you have any tuning software?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
also to add, once this problem started with the engine starting/staying running- my OBD2 reader will not connect to the pcm- only when it fires up it will communicate, and sometimes that it will lose connection for a second
Is this just a code reader or a datalogger? Can you turn the ignition to the ON (ignition on, engine off) position and connect?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

turns out, i missed checking one of the grounds. the ground that was loose. (attached to the back of the head) i was pissed when i saw it. everytime i moved my hand around the back of the engine, it would die- turns out i was hitting the ground wire which was barely tightend down. that would cause it to die(it would cause it to move away from the head)

all this for a stupid ground!