Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about adding catted Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? about adding catted Y-pipe

Was originally tuned with Kooks long tubes and thier off road y-pipe a couple of years ago. Can I just slap on a Kooks catted y-pipe and be ok with the tune I have now? How much difference will adding the catted Y-pipe make since I was tuned when I had an ORY-pipe? I know I'll lose a little bit of power from the flow restrictions but will it make a big difference with the tune? Thanks as allways guys.

JasonG
Old 03-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Bump!

Anyone thing maybe I should try asking in the tuning forums?

JasonG
Old 03-22-2008, 10:31 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can move it there for you.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally speaking, the exhaust will be a little more restrictive, and the VE of the engine may go down some as a result.

If that's the case, the pcm will think there's a little more air than there really is, and it may run a little richer because it's adding fuel for air that's not really there. Shouldn't hurt anything. Better to run a little rich than to run a little lean.

An SD tune is more sensitive to VE changes than a regular MAF tune. So with a MAF, the difference might not even be noticeable.

If Cat overtemp was turned off, you may need to get that turned on again. Some people say with a high flow cat it doesn't matter. I don't know.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Thanks John. I'm mostly trying to quiet the car up a bit and am going to start with a used SLP dual dual if I can find one. If that doesn't quiet it up enough I'll order the catted Y from Kooks. I'm assuming that those are decent high flow cats if I go that route. Who knows come inspection time I might be forced to put some cats on anyways. Again thanks for your input.

JasonG