PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaned a few sensors and now the car went to hell, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry cleaned a few sensors and now the car went to hell, help!!

the WS6 was running really well. I decided yesterday to clean things up with that CRC maf sensor cleaner stuff. I hosed the MAF out, and also sprayed the junk off the TPS and IAC. Then cleaned the K&N and re-oiled it as well(yes I know how to do that, I went light on the oil).

Since then then the car won't start and idle for ****, its ridiculous...I have to peddle the **** out of it for quite awhile before it'll idle on its own and its still crappy at best..no surging, just barely wants to run. At first I thought MAF, so I put a different stock one in I had laying around, nope, not that.

At idle, the TPS,MAF, and MAP sensor all read properly and within range. I layed the IAC motor on the throttle body and turned they key a few times watching it..its moving and setting itself like it should..

Then tonite I look at it some more and here's where it gets weirder. So the IAT guage on the hp tuners scanner is red(but still reading numbers, huh??) so i say ok dead IAT sensor. take the one from the camaro and the red goes away, but 2 minutes later..its red again. Also the LTrims keep going red..reading maxed out LEAN(+25%), but only when the IAT guage goes red. BUT..drive it around and sometiems all goes back to normal for a bit..IAT stops glowing red and reads normal, and LTrims stop maxing out and read within range also, but then it'll randomly go back to hell with the IAT in red and LTrims maxed out again. Also noticed the timing at idle is like 30, when I have it set for 26. Car is not making its set idle by a good 100 RPM, and surges real low alot of times like to 500-600 rpm...basically overall it barely wants to run..

Things I tried in the tune include playing with the FA table in open loop again, and also VE table at 400 and 800 rpm. Also tried adjusting the Idle airflow for the IAC, etc. Also bumped the idle up..

I cannot for the life of me figure out what happened to this bastard. I mean christ all i did was clean a few sensors and an air filter and now this ****??

Only thing I didn't do yet was snag the IAC motor from the camaro and put that in the car??

Please give me some ideas, I'm daily driving this car for now and it was runnign really really well until yesterday, I can't be peddling this ******* thing for 5 minutes at 7 am in front of my house before work..
Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

NE connector pins bent, or out of place?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Any dtc's ?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Motorboater

nope, no DTC's. connector on IAT looks fine..
not the IAT sensor since I tried two of them. It really runs ok once it gets going, idles nice, although its not making its set idle by 100 rpm..no hanging idle when slowing down,etc. but turn the car off and it struggles to start again every time. first start after it sits for awhile and its cold and it needs all the peddling and **** to get it to idle at all. if its warm only have to peddle it once or maybe not even at all and it'll start, but still not with the ooomph that it should, just struggles in general on startup..
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a log and a tune?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

What does the IAT sensor say the temp is?
Old 04-07-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Did you make sure the IAC o-ring seal is there, and correctly seated? How high (or low) does the IAT read when it's acting up? Is the TPS reading accurate at all throttle settings? Could the TPS have any cleaner fluid stuck inside it?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Motorboater

ok went and played with it at lunch.

IAT sensor stopped acting up, it reads normally. Its the Ltrims..
At idle both Ltrims max out lean and go red on teh screen. touch the gas and drive and everything moves back to normal and looks great. get off the gas and the B1 Ltrim goes lean, but not the B2. then when stopped and at idle, the B2 joines the B1 and maxes out lean. car just will not start and idle without a bunch of peddling, its driving me crazy.

I'm attaching one of the logs I just made if anyone wants to take a look..
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
0407b.hpl (63.3 KB, 309 views)
Old 04-07-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you messed up your MAF . . . unplug it and start the car, then monitor your trims
Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Banned

My vote is TPS.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

I had a few similar problems once. I come to the conclusion i had an intake leak. Took a can of brake cleaner and sprayed around the engine bay and when the motor revved up i found the vacuum line that was off. Mine was on the passenger side of the intake directly behind the throttle body. Thought maybe since you were in there cleaning and unplugging things it could have been a possibility.. GL
Old 04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Motorboater

its not MAF. i put the car into speed density and nothign changed, tried two different maf's now also.

TPS is reading perfectly, is there something else I could miss?

I'm going to do the brake cleaner thing when I get home, I'm still at work. I did take the TB off to clean it and this car has one of those stupid lingenfelter/weiland intakes on it with a paper gasket between the throttle body and intake, anything is possible there..

it doesn't act like it has a vacuum leak though, no surging or anything once i do get it to idle. but then again a baby one could be just enough to create the issue..
Old 04-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

The tps reads perfect with it running bad? If it's an A4 did the trans shift any different?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Can you try that maf in another car? It seems to me that the maf isn't picking up airflow at idle. Look at the log, its really low thoughout your whole log. is it descreened?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Try to recalibrate the maf now that it is clean.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BadBlackZ
I had a few similar problems once. I come to the conclusion i had an intake leak. Took a can of brake cleaner and sprayed around the engine bay and when the motor revved up i found the vacuum line that was off. Mine was on the passenger side of the intake directly behind the throttle body. Thought maybe since you were in there cleaning and unplugging things it could have been a possibility.. GL

Any word on if you found the problem?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Teching In

my money is on vacuum leak or idle air control.