Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM tune, emissions testing??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow PCM tune, emissions testing??

Hey guys, i recently bought a 01 procharged ws6... the guy that i bought it from said it was on a mail order tune. i also have the superchips programmer for it...
anyways, last weekend my friend and i were working on my car and he used his scanner to see if there were any codes stored, the scanner said no codes, and he cleared the codes...
on monday i went to get emissions tested and when the guy hooked up the scanner it kept kicking him out of the system... so he said go drive it around and come back... i put 40 miles on it, went to a different emissions place. and it still was kicking him out of the system... so then he put it on the dyno, and it wasnt reading on the dyno...
my question is, is it possible the pcm tune i have is kicking him out of the system? or possibly my super chips programmer?
or do i still have to put more miles on the car....?
and if someone says use the superchips programmer and put it back to stock settings, wont the car run like crap and fail anyways?
although, i dont think they actually run the car if they just hook the scanner up to the OBD2 port...
anwyas, Anybody have any help for me??
the state i live in is CT encase anyone was wondering...
thanks for the help.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your system has not run the complete OBDII test cycle. Anytime you edit the engine computer, it resets the readiness state of the OBDII test. If the OBDII tests have not completed, they will read "not ready" when your local emissions facility tries to scan it.

You will need to perform a complete GM OBDII driving cycle (look it up, I don't have a link handy) Its about 45 mins of driving at VERY specific ranges. Or just drive the car like normal for about a week and you should be OK.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, i found the site... its http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
i drove it around for another 15 miles today... with the ac on and rear defroster at 55mph... but i only have till saturday before my temp plates expire... so im trying to hustle this process along...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, can you turn off a lot of the engine codes with a programmer? such as all the Secondary air injection, o2 sensors ALL, evap...etc. you might have to get a tuner/shop to tune them out for you

thats what you need to do do pass the emissions testing real quickly. the drive cycle is silly.. if you want to get em ready by driving just drive, they will become ready after about 50 miles or so