PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

32 degrees timing NA.....then swap to 16 degrees for 300 shot.... options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 32 degrees timing NA.....then swap to 16 degrees for 300 shot.... options?

what are all my options to do this...

I like the idea of a handheld, but dont know of one that will pull that much timing. I have heard about the "timing tuners".

what else?

I want to run Nitrous timing all the time..... then add it in via switch for NA...that is preferred.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Custom OS 5 by EFILive is exactly what you're looking for. It has a feature to pull timing on the fly by grounding an input to the PCM.

This is a long thread, but worth the read: COS5
Old 04-13-2008, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Custom OS 5 by EFILive is exactly what you're looking for. It has a feature to pull timing on the fly by grounding an input to the PCM.

This is a long thread, but worth the read: COS5

This can be done with any tuning suite at all, even as basic as Ls1edit by any competent tuner. You don't need a custom OS, though with it being free, if you already have EFIL I'd likely use it too. Also in the 01-02 OS's not only can you instantly pull spark on demand, but you can adjust PE on the fly in the same way to help tuning fuel, again, without any custom OS at all. Beats pulling all of those direct port jets out and swapping when you only want a few tenths or half point or so AFR adjustment.

These log snapshots show the same RPM in each gear. I circled the relevant bits. This setup was used to tune a car that was very very lean on it's wet side. Not only can you see the timing reduction, you can see the injector time up also in 2nd gear from the supplemental fueling. Stock OS, and the tuning suite is irrelevant. In total here, in case you can't read the numbers, that's -2.5deg timing and +2mSec of injector time.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

What about placing your IAT sensor directly in front of the nozzle. Then set your tune to pull x degrees of timing under a predetermined IAT?

As soon as the N2o passes the IAT the temps will plumit and it will pull the timing.

Dont know if it works, I was just thinking out loud..
Old 04-13-2008, 07:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
What about placing your IAT sensor directly in front of the nozzle. Then set your tune to pull x degrees of timing under a predetermined IAT?

As soon as the N2o passes the IAT the temps will plumit and it will pull the timing.

Dont know if it works, I was just thinking out loud..

It works to an extent, but the IAT is by nature a bit slow reacting. It can be improved upon aome by running a sensor like this one instead of an OEM unit: http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/400

That first instant that the nitrous comes in when timing needs to be more conservative, there will be a delay in the sensor's transition.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

that sensor is not sensative enough to do the job on a 300 shot. It takes too long to warm back up and cool down or for the PCM to react to the huge amounts of nitrous. Also... I am spraying on a plate thru the carb style intake.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Check out the COS5 thread. You might also try PM'ing Beer99C5 (here or on the EFILive forum).
Old 04-14-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COS5 with a switch tied into the nitrous kit would be faster.

COS5 can alter fueling and spark automatically specifically tied to that event and you can disable with through the switch also. Better than a continuously running spoof to the OS.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
COS5 with a switch tied into the nitrous kit would be faster.

COS5 can alter fueling and spark automatically specifically tied to that event and you can disable with through the switch also. Better than a continuously running spoof to the OS.
It's no more of a "spoof" than your method. My comments about IAT speed have nothing to do with the tuning method I screenshotted, jus tshowing some of you that you are behind the curve in your tuning The way I posted with logs is not about driving an IAT sensor's temp; as noted, that IS too slow. My screen shots are from a lean wet system that had fuel and timing corrected WITHOUT a custom OS and it does it immediately.

Really.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
It's no more of a "spoof" than your method. My comments about IAT speed have nothing to do with the tuning method I screenshotted, jus tshowing some of you that you are behind the curve in your tuning The way I posted with logs is not about driving an IAT sensor's temp; as noted, that IS too slow. My screen shots are from a lean wet system that had fuel and timing corrected WITHOUT a custom OS and it does it immediately.

Really.

Just so you know I try to quote if I am talking to you or about you. I don't always read everyones' posts but sometimes I do. So yea I can see how that might happen. No intention to stomp on you here!

I really didn't read your comments but I can see how what you mean.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

300 Shot Is No Joke Id Definately Go Cos 5.. For My Dry Shot I Just Run A N20 Tune (for Spark) When I Step Up To A Bigger Shot Cos 5 Will Be On My Shopping List
Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

I cant afford 750 bucks right now, Will a full throttle timing tuner and nitrous controller work fine for now?