PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0343 w/ dual roller install

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0343 w/ dual roller install

I had looked this up on here earlier and saw that some people had said the dual roller timing chains will cause this problem, but I did not see any solutions on how to fix it. The timing chain was set to 0 degrees on install. If anyone could give me some advice on getting rid of this error, please do. The fact that it is killing my tach is driving me nuts. These are all the installed parts I have on my car:
2002 Z28 LS1
Austin Ram Air Kit
SLP Air Lid
SLP 85mm MAF
FAST 90mm TB
FAST 92mm Intake Manifold
AFR Heads
SLP Hydraulic Roller Cam (236 duration)
160 Thermostat
High Pressure oil pump
SLP Dual Roller Timing Chain
SLP Long Tube Headers
3" Y-Pipe
SLP high flow cats
Wait4Me Performance tune

After getting the tune I've also had the P0106 MAP sensor error. However, I've put in a new MAP sensor and the car has no vacuum leaks.

Last edited by Raptorman01; 04-19-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 PM

*bump*
Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

yes i did have this same problem as you are having. What kind of oil pump are you using? I'm willing to bet your SLP double roller is rubbing on the inside of the oil pump. Your cam sensor probably isnt lined up with the reluctor wheel either.... I have a ported LS6 oil pump, and when I switched out the SLP double roller for an LS2 timing chain, the problem went away, my tach worked again, and no more codes.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 PM

I have the slp double roller and slp oil pump package.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

well the oil pump may be your problem... did you install the shimms that came with the chain? i would say change out the double roller to an LS2 and see if your problem goes away.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:44 PM

The place that put it in for me used the shims. They messed with the car all day and couldn't figure it out. SLP had no idea ofcourse. I'm trying to get in contact with Jesse Bubb to see if it can be tuned out. I can't really afford another chain or the labor for it. The Marine Corps kind of limits my budget. I know there has to be an easy way to fix this. I and East Coast Performance are out of ideas.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Raptorman01
The place that put it in for me used the shims. They messed with the car all day and couldn't figure it out. SLP had no idea ofcourse. I'm trying to get in contact with Jesse Bubb to see if it can be tuned out. I can't really afford another chain or the labor for it. The Marine Corps kind of limits my budget. I know there has to be an easy way to fix this. I and East Coast Performance are out of ideas.

i've been there man... tried to figure out the problem for months. We even opened her up a second time to check and make sure everything was right, but still had the same problems. The third time opening her up, i only swapped out the timing chain and the cam, the problems were cured and the car ran fine afterward.

Now let me ask you this, does the tach jump when you first start the car but go back down to 0?

If so, Tuning isnt going to work, as the RPM's are read by the reluctor wheel on the end of the camshaft. If anything is mis-aligned in there, then the sensor cannor read the wheel and your tach wont work at all.. hope this helps!!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Until the codes are cleared with a scanner the tach doesn't work at all. Even on startup. The codes come back approx. 30 sec. After clearing. Apparently it is also throwing P0161.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

What i am asking is, when you turn the key and fire it up, does the needle move at all? Like, for a split second it moves, as if it is trying to work but just goes dead.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:22 AM

No, the needle doesn't jump. The codes have to be cleared for it to do anything. However, east coast told me last night that the tach will start working for a few minutes if you let it run but then the tach will die again.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

so the tach will work for a little and shut off? then you definately have something wrong in the timing chain area... by the tach working for a short time, you should know that there isnt an electrical problem. i would start searching where the tach gets its reference.... around the cam/ timing chain area and i bet you will find your problem.

also, the codes you are throwing are very similar to the ones i had
Old 04-22-2008, 03:52 PM

Talked to SLP about returning my timing chain today, and they immediately transferred me to an engineer. I guess they don't want to take it back. Anyway, that engineer was on the phone with East Coast Performance today, and I called East Coast as soon as I got off work. They said they have the solution and the car should be ready tomorrow. I'll find out what they think it was, and what they had to do to fix it tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:37 PM

Well the sensor was bad. Went to pick up the car today. They had driven it for 20 minutes and had no problem. No codes. I get there turn the car on and the tach dies. P0343 but no additional codes. We call an ls1 shop about 2 hrs away and they said that the piece that makes the chain adjustable has a tendency to come loose and throw off the timing. So tomorrow they are going to remove the chain and weld the adjustment to 0.