Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuners for cheap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuners for cheap

I'm a cheap bastard. Are there any resellers that'd have EFI live or HPTuners for less than what they sell for from the respective vendors?

I know the response (just pay....). Its just I'm a computer programmer, use linux where everythings free, etc and just won't pay that kind of money for one software suite.

Or, has anyone tinkered with starting a open source / linux tuning suite?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.thetuningschool.com/ offers free same day shipping in most cases & a discount on future credit purchases.

With prices starting at only $499 with the ability to tune up to 4 vehicles thats a total cost of only $125 per vehicle which when you break down the R&D that went into the hardware & software you are receiving is about as close to open source as I think you'll get.

-Bill
Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by destey
Its just I'm a computer programmer, use linux where everythings free, etc and just won't pay that kind of money for one software suite.

Or, has anyone tinkered with starting a open source / linux tuning suite?
You're a programmer who works with Linux where everything is free-- does that mean YOU also work for free? If so, PM me, I have a couple of projects I'd like you to do.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

They have to make their money and I completely agree, the price of a lot of software is completely outrageous but the time and effort put in to pay employees and other costs have to be offset into the price of the software. But I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of competition they have as far as tuning software with the same capabilities. So in other words they can charge what they want and if you need to tune your ride you HAVE to pay it.

But I will say the price of the software along with the confusing issues with "credits" is the main reason I ditched all the stock LS1 stuff and did megasquirt.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you it would take more than 500 hours to build your own tuning software.

The $500 price point is cheap in the lsx world.

Ryan
Old 04-22-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

You might check in the classified section for some used gear. But be warned, tuning suites hold their value pretty well.