PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had a problem tuning a car w/o cats in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had a problem tuning a car w/o cats in CA?

Guys,
I just got off the phone with a tuner that was recommended here off the site but after talking with him for a little while and letting him know the modification's to the car...he told me that he won't/can't tune my car because of the fact that it has no cats?
I've heard from quite a few people that their cars are within smog regulations after a good tune even without the cats?
I understand that you're not supposed to remove the cats because of smog but I was just curious if anyone else's tuner WON'T TUNE their car because of the fact that they aren't smog compliant before they roll onto the dyno?
Is it just one of those deals?
Thanks for any advice,
Donnie
Old 05-14-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were a tuner (which I am not) and someone called me on the phone, I would give the same answer. For all he knows, you could be associated with CARB or some other regulatory board.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Thanks man.
DZ
Old 05-14-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

In order to pass the sniffer without cats, you would have to pull out a ridiculous bag of tricks that NO tuning shop with any sense would speak openly about, because of serious federal law violations. Also, with Nazifornia's visual inspection, it would be asking for trouble.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Smile

Yeah well I offered to even buy some smog legal cats and put them on the car but then he started going into the fact that the headers had to have a CARB sticker on them or he wouldn't touch the car...
I was just wondering if everyone on this site either w/o cats or w/o CARB stickers on EVERY visual modification are having these issues getting their cars tuned?
Thx again,
DZ
Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Just wanted to also let everyone know that I wasn't really taking the cats off the car to get more power...I was honestly told that the tune wouldn't be that big of a deal without the cats by the guys that did my whole exhaust system to get the car tuned out...

Final question...I don't really know where to look for the CARB sticker on the headers but they don't even have a name brand on em'...they're chrome and they're long tubes but I got em' used and was able to get a really good deal by trading out of my stock exhaust manifolds.
Anyway, will I be alright do you think if I buy some good CA SMOG legal catalytic converters and put em' on?
I don't mean will it pass smog....will I be able to get someone to tune the car and help me get rid of the darn P0327 code that's been going off ever since I got this car "mail order tuned" like an idiot!
Thanks for all the help,
Donnie
Old 05-15-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other shop in your other thread will probabally do it...(not the auburn one)
Old 05-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Thanks so much man for pointing me in the right direction. I'm really not trying to even squeeze every last hp out of this thing. I just really want it to get the best MPG possible and be as emission compliant as possible.
When I swapped the exhaust, I was more or less told that it was no big deal blah blah blah and I might not even need a tune...after months of O2 sensor codes and replacing both O2's 3 times...I got a "mail order tune" for $300...that was almost 8 months ago now and still throwing the same P0327 after changing both knock sensors and entire wiring harness...
Needless to say, I've heard how much can be tweaked or "smoothed" out on a chassis dyno and just need someone to tune it that knows what they're doing.

Thanks again man,
Donnie