Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning and Drivabilty ISSUE*****

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning and Drivabilty ISSUE*****

Hey guys I just had my car tuned by a well known tuner. The car runs good when you are driving around, but when say your coming up to a light or stop sign you push the clutch in the car wants to die and 80% of the time it does die if i dont play with the throttle. What could this be? Should I switch tuners or does anyone have any ideas? heres a rundown of whats done to the car:
2000 Trans Am 6spd stock clutch:
-232/234 .624/.590 112
-Dart 225 Fully ported heads with a .040 head gasket 11.25 comp.
-Ported Fast 92mm intake, Fast 92mm Throttle body, 85mm Delphi Maf
-Stock Fuel pump....Could it be a bad fuel pump, he said it was fine throughout the rpm's fuel pressure wise
-42lb svo green top injector
Old 05-19-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy fix, I might be in fortwayne next weekend, Ill pm you if i do and can get you fixed.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Decel Fuel Cut Off setting possibly???

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 05-19-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

whats is the quick fix then? jw I have no idea what it could be.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Def in the tune. Dont know about an easy fix, it could be alot of things. Everything from the VE being off, to the idle air flow being off, to the blade needing a bigger hole. Any or all of the above.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm guessing the easy fix Jesse is talking about is increasing the Idle air tables.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Im having these same problems with my 99 c5.. Also recently tuned MS4 cam. What do I need to tell the tuner to do.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Def in the tune. Dont know about an easy fix, it could be alot of things. Everything from the VE being off, to the idle air flow being off, to the blade needing a bigger hole. Any or all of the above.
The fast 92mm doesnt have a hole in the blade i dont believe, i heard of people drilling a 7/16 hole in the blade but i dont wanna do that and have it screw up the expense *** throttle body. I mean the car ran fine when i had my old ported ls6 and throttle body and now i changed to my new fast and i am haven this problem after the tune, so its gotta be in the tune but where!?!?!? VE table?????. I guess i am kinda tryin to get an idea to what it may be or if others are haven this problem so the tuner can look in that area
Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

To the Top...............anyone else have any input? All input is greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bigrob339
The fast 92mm doesnt have a hole in the blade i dont believe, i heard of people drilling a 7/16 hole in the blade but i dont wanna do that and have it screw up the expense *** throttle body. I mean the car ran fine when i had my old ported ls6 and throttle body and now i changed to my new fast and i am haven this problem after the tune, so its gotta be in the tune but where!?!?!? VE table?????. I guess i am kinda tryin to get an idea to what it may be or if others are haven this problem so the tuner can look in that area
7/16 is way too big a hole. If the tuner is any good, you shouldnt need to give him any ideas of where to look.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I'm guessing the easy fix Jesse is talking about is increasing the Idle air tables.
yep...see what airflow values she is gettin and check all those tables, might have to adjust TB screw or hole
Old 05-21-2008, 05:35 AM
9 Second Club

Throttle cracker tables need work. A lot of tuners don't know squat about tuning idle tables and driveability is not what it should be for many people...
Old 05-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Throttle cracker tables need work. A lot of tuners don't know squat about tuning idle tables and driveability is not what it should be for many people...
I've tuned many, many cars, that once you get evrything else right, you dont even need to touch the throttle cracker or throttle follower tables. Then again, some of them need a bit of tweaking.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
I've tuned many, many cars, that once you get evrything else right, you dont even need to touch the throttle cracker or throttle follower tables. Then again, some of them need a bit of tweaking.
Well, my experience is that with the problem he described, stalling when coming to a stop, it is best fixed with the cracker table or once in awhile the follower table. That way you are not jacking up the idle air counts at static idle. Once I get the static idle (sitting still) straight, I do not touch the TB hole or the running airflow tables any more. Any idle work that needs adjustment when the car is moving should be made in the cracker or follower depending on exactly what is happening. Works for me time after time...
Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Well, my experience is that with the problem he described, stalling when coming to a stop, it is best fixed with the cracker table or once in awhile the follower table. That way you are not jacking up the idle air counts at static idle. Once I get the static idle (sitting still) straight, I do not touch the TB hole or the running airflow tables any more. Any idle work that needs adjustment when the car is moving should be made in the cracker or follower depending on exactly what is happening. Works for me time after time...

I do the same. Mentioned in another thread is bucking.... if the idle airflow is good, the VE is done, and the car bucks it's usually airflow after throttle from the cracker causing it.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Launching!

I also have this issue with my SS....have not tweeked it yet but I have a truck that is just the opposite.....It has an ls1 with a 228/230 585/585 and it races the engine once your moving and pushes you up to a stop light until you make a complete stop. I was told from a tuner that the throttle cracker tables will not affect a truck or an f-body.....only affects the Corvette's, IS THIS CORRECT?

Both of the LS1 vehicles I have now drive like complete crap on the street and I regret ever doing a cam in either one of them.....I have my own tuning software but Have never changed anything simply because I am afraid of screwing up. I have the JET DSM tuner I would love to have some help in tuning these two vehicles but dont have the time to set and read or set and ask questions.....while on the other hand, my professional tuner will change a parameter or two and say "that should be good" and he is done and I am still unhappy.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY JET FILES THAT I CAN COMPARE TO MY FILES SO I CAN TRY SOME DIFFERENT THINGS?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by carfreak07
I also have this issue with my SS....have not tweeked it yet but I have a truck that is just the opposite.....It has an ls1 with a 228/230 585/585 and it races the engine once your moving and pushes you up to a stop light until you make a complete stop. I was told from a tuner that the throttle cracker tables will not affect a truck or an f-body.....only affects the Corvette's, IS THIS CORRECT?
No, this could not be farther from the truth...

Originally Posted by carfreak07
Both of the LS1 vehicles I have now drive like complete crap on the street and I regret ever doing a cam in either one of them.....I have my own tuning software but Have never changed anything simply because I am afraid of screwing up. I have the JET DSM tuner I would love to have some help in tuning these two vehicles but dont have the time to set and read or set and ask questions.....while on the other hand, my professional tuner will change a parameter or two and say "that should be good" and he is done and I am still unhappy.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY JET FILES THAT I CAN COMPARE TO MY FILES SO I CAN TRY SOME DIFFERENT THINGS?
To be quite honest, if you are that unhappy with your tuner i think you should look for a new one...
Old 06-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Jedi Master

Throttle cracker adjustments have fixed any idle dipping issues I have had.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Jeeshhh. I can't stand it. You guys are all over the map. Bigrob339's solution is to increase the final idle airflow table in the lower RPMs.

Adaptive idle and integral idle to reduce the throttle hanging effect of carfreak07. I'm outta here!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by kelp
Jeeshhh. I can't stand it. You guys are all over the map. Bigrob339's solution is to increase the final idle airflow table in the lower RPMs.

Adaptive idle and integral idle to reduce the throttle hanging effect of carfreak07. I'm outta here!
A nailed down RAF is a good starting point but doesn't fix every thing and not everyone tunes the same.