Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VATS? car wont start! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS? car wont start! HELP!

ok the car wont start but all electronics work. security light blinks when the key is tuned. we tried to start by using a paper clip to bypass the starter relay. it would start but not stay running. i think its VATS so i did the search here on VATS and found lots of threads but no solutions to the problem?! Since i have no one to tune my car here i called pcmforless and he said it was deff the VATS system but told me all he could do was get rid of the injector cut off and the igition and fuel pump were run by another computer somewhere else in the car. i dont know what to do!

im just about ready to beat the car with a sledge hammer.. someone plese help!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your problem is ,You have a wire broke in the key switch or tumbler, Putting a paper clip to bypass the VATS will not work, You will need a resister. Take your key and use a meter to read the resistance between the chip on the key and buy you a resister with the same ohms,Or just replace the key switch. Mine done the same thing. You do have another computer, its a generic control module or (BCM) it located in the upper side panel on the passenger side behind the glove box. But its your key switch.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, look for a 2 prong connector under the dash, next to the column. IIRC, the white wires are sheathed in orange. Hook up a meter to your key and use that size resistor to jump the connector. I guess it could be a permanant fix, but I would consider it part of troubleshooting to make sure you're not throwing money at parts.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Pull the key switch and you will know if its bad, There are two white wires coming out of the switch ,you can take a ohms meter and put the key in the switch and read between the wires, to see if there broke in side. I took my key switch a part and soldered the wire back together.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok, I'll try that thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Or you could get it tuned out and not worry about it. A start button is no sweat ;-)

If you have my kind of problem the BCM isn't acting right and even with the correct resistor in it won't turn over. You can tune it out and bypass the BCM pretty easily.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

How and where can I get it tuned out of my bcm???
Old 05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help you guys.. it was the keyswitch, both of the white wires were broke off the switch.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Now you can put a .25 cent resistor between the two white wires, or you can buy a new key switch with keys witch can get expensive or try to fix the old one, witch is what i did.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just got a new one.. i was all happy i fixed it and went to go drive around and my steering wheel was pointed off to the left. i know i put it back on straight so the towtruck must have fucked something up. its always something....
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by westxwitesnake05
i just got a new one.. i was all happy i fixed it and went to go drive around and my steering wheel was pointed off to the left. i know i put it back on straight so the towtruck must have fucked something up. its always something....
Check where the driver tied it down. Tie rod ends are mighty tempting looking places.