PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is STILL LEAN at WOT! LTFTs going negative at WOT! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exclamation Car is STILL LEAN at WOT! LTFTs going negative at WOT! Please help!

I've been battling a lean condition at WOT for quite a while now. I originally thought it may be related to a fuel pressure issue being caused by a WOT voltage drop problem I was also having. See this thread for details https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/913098-voltage-drop-wot-lean-condition-related.html

Anyway, I solved the voltage drop issue, but the lean condition is still there. My commanded AFR (PE vs RPM table) is set at 12.8:1. I keep scaling my MAF table higher and higher and it the lean condition is still there.

Now, I would normally suspect that this is being caused by a "mechanical" fuel pressure issue since my tuning efforts don't seem to change it. However, I've recently noticed in my logs that my injector pulse widths decrease at higher RPMs and my LTFTs are also going negative! WTF? I thought LTFTs would never go negative at WOT? I don't know how to post a log file, but I'd be glad to e-mail a few logs to anyone that can help me out. BTW, I'm logging with Auto Tap and tuning with Edit......old school, I know. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LTFT's should go to 0 at WOT. You should be adding to your PE not screwing with the MAF tables for WOT fueling. Just because the programmer says its commanding 12.8 doesn't mean you'll actually get 12.8air/fuel.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
LTFT's should go to 0 at WOT. You should be adding to your PE not screwing with the MAF tables for WOT fueling. Just because the programmer says its commanding 12.8 doesn't mean you'll actually get 12.8air/fuel.
Joey, I know the LTFTs should be 0 at WOT, that is why I am so confused. I know it's possible (not optimal) for them to be positive at WOT, but never negative......but mine are for some reason.

As for modding the PE table, I was under the impression that the PE vs RPM value was just a commanded mulitplier for WOT fueling and that the MAF and VE Tables had to be providing a correct airflow value or the actual AFR would be wrong.

For example: My PE Vs. RPM table is set to 12.8:1 across the board. If my MAF table is reporting that I'm getting 354 gm/sec of air at 6300 RPM, the PCM will change the injector pulse width to add enough fuel to that 354 gm/sec of air to achieve a 12.8:1 AFR. However, lets say the MAF table is incorrect (uncalibrated) and I'm actually receiving 370 gm/sec of air at 6300, then my mixture will be lean since the MAF is only reporting 354 gm/sec. Maybe I'm incorrect on this. Please explain your reasoning for futher modifying the PE vs RPM. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Subscribing. Having same exact (almost) problem on 98 LS1 (in an 88GTA). I could have written you initial post. Injectors scaled correctly, VE and MAF dialed in good for all part throttle operation and MAF scaled for high speed too. Go into PE mode, go way lean. Commanding 11.5 now to get 12.5. I've tried bumping MAF up on the high end of scale w/ zero results.

Only difference, I don't get negative LTFTs. That I've never seen. You might want to log and check to make sure it's dropping into PE mode.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

If I'm tuning a car with the MAF still connected, then I try not to adjust the MAF tables unless there has been a descreening or something to alter the calibration. Otherwise, say SD mode, you'll have to modify the PE table to get your desired fuel ratio (imo) or work the VE table in say 2 or 3 barr mode.

What is your pcm set to for open loop/WOT operation? Are you seeing a full 100% command as far as pedal position goes?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crewchef
Only difference, I don't get negative LTFTs. That I've never seen. You might want to log and check to make sure it's dropping into PE mode.
Yeah, it kinda seems like it's not dropping into PE mode since I'm getting the negative trims, but I'm not sure how to tell if it is or not. What value would I log to check?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Are you logging loop status and comanded afr make sure its going open loop and its comanding the 12.8 that is in the pe table.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I'm tuning a car with the MAF still connected, then I try not to adjust the MAF tables unless there has been a descreening or something to alter the calibration. Otherwise, say SD mode, you'll have to modify the PE table to get your desired fuel ratio (imo) or work the VE table in say 2 or 3 barr mode.
I am using plastic MAF ends with no screen, so I'm sure the calibration is not on. That is why I suspect my MAF table is not correct. I'd like to go back to my stock MAF ends but they won't fit in my damn MTI lid. Probably just need to buy a new lid I guess.

What is your pcm set to for open loop/WOT operation? Are you seeing a full 100% command as far as pedal position goes?
MAP to enable PE is set to 15 (stock value). TPS is set to 64% till 2800, 55% to 3200, 45% to 3600, 36% to 4000, and 26% from 4400 to redline; all stock values.

Is there anything else I may have disabled to keep it from going into PE mode that I'm not thinking of? I know I disabled PE mode when I was SD tuning, but I thought all I did was changed MAP to enable to 105 and made the PE vs RPM table all 1.00. As said before, those values are now MAP to enable 15 and PE vs RPM table to 1.1483; about 12.8:1.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98redorangeta
Are you logging loop status and comanded afr make sure its going open loop and its comanding the 12.8 that is in the pe table.
I don't think I can log those values with Autotap......just one more thing that's a thorn in my side here.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GC99TA
I don't think I can log those values with Autotap......just one more thing that's a thorn in my side here.
Can you log fuel trim cell? PE will be 20, 21 or 22. Can't remember which exactly but all three of those are cells where the system doesn't want any permanent changes to LTFTs.

There's also the dynamic airflow zone, should be 1 for WOT.

Are you sure you didn't miss setting anything else back to normal after the SD tuning?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, how about this.......I read somewhere on here to set your OLFA table to 1.00 because when in PE mode, the fueling will be based on the richer of the two tables (OLFA or PE vs RPM). So, I have all MAP points above 60C set to 1.00. Is it possible that my fueling is being based on this table instead of my PE vs RPM table? I'm still not sure that explains the negative LTRIMs at WOT though. Just trying to throw some things out there.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Closed loop enable temps vs IAT? I remember setting those to 284 across the board to make sure it stayed in OL
Old 05-27-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you log fuel trim cell? PE will be 20, 21 or 22. Can't remember which exactly but all three of those are cells where the system doesn't want any permanent changes to LTFTs.

There's also the dynamic airflow zone, should be 1 for WOT.

Are you sure you didn't miss setting anything else back to normal after the SD tuning?
Fuel Trim Cells at WOT stay mostly at 22, but dip occasionally to 15, which I believe is also a WOT cell, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm thinking there is something I didn't set back after SD tuning that I should have. I'm going through my tuning files and trying to find what's different, but I've lost some files due to my laptop crashing, so I don't have a complete history of my tuning progress.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Closed loop enable temps vs IAT? I remember setting those to 284 across the board to make sure it stayed in OL
Closed Loop enable temps are all at the stock settings. I compared it to my bone stock tune file. FWIW, LS1 Edit lists Closed Loop Enable Temps as coolant temps and not IAC temps. I don't know if that's a difference in model years, or just a wrong value lable in LS1 Edit.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forgot to address the second part of your question earlier......yes, TPA shows 100% when the pedal is on the floor.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Only 4 things I'm aware of that I changed (not counting spark).

DFCO enable temp = 284
LTFT = Disabled
Closed Loop Enable Temps = 284
Open Loop EQ = 1.00

The open loop EQ has got me thinking. Best I understand this you go into open loop when at WOT but you have a PE table that's supposed to be primary on WOT. Could the Open Loop EQ ratio be playing a part in this? I don't think so but that's not worth much.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Doesn't the negative LTFT mean that the computer is pulling fuel out? That's why the pulsewidth is narrowing to pull fuel for a rich condition....
Old 05-27-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cam75w/ls1
Doesn't the negative LTFT mean that the computer is pulling fuel out? That's why the pulsewidth is narrowing to pull fuel for a rich condition....
Yes, negative trims mean it is pulling fuel and trying to stay close to stoich, which explains why the pulsewidth is getting shorter. I guess my original post made it sound like I thought they were isolated incidents, but I fully understand they are related conditions.

What I don't understand is why they are going negative at WOT. LTRIMs should never go negative in PE mode. Prior to making my original post, it hadn't occured to me that it may not be going into PE mode, thus the negative trims at WOT. Thanks to the help of other posters, I'm now trying to figure out why it may not be going into PE mode. I believe once I get it to go into PE mode, the LTRIMS will zero out and quit pulling fuel.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Closed Loop enable temps are all at the stock settings. I compared it to my bone stock tune file. FWIW, LS1 Edit lists Closed Loop Enable Temps as coolant temps and not IAC temps. I don't know if that's a difference in model years, or just a wrong value lable in LS1 Edit.
I've actually got two different tables when I go back and look.

One is ECT vs. MAP, the other is ECT vs. IAT, both were set to 284 across the board when I was doing SD tune.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only 4 things I'm aware of that I changed (not counting spark).

DFCO enable temp = 284
LTFT = Disabled
Closed Loop Enable Temps = 284
Open Loop EQ = 1.00

The open loop EQ has got me thinking. Best I understand this you go into open loop when at WOT but you have a PE table that's supposed to be primary on WOT. Could the Open Loop EQ ratio be playing a part in this? I don't think so but that's not worth much.
Open Loop EQ = Open Loop Fuel Air (OLFA)? If so, I think this might be worth looking into. Like I said before, while I was doing my SD tuning, I changed my OLFA to 1.00, which would be a '0' mulitiplier. I was under the impression that changing the OLFA table to a lower value than the PE vs RPM table would make the PE vs RPM table "primary". Perhaps I'm entering PE mode, but my OLFA table is commanding a 1.0 (14.7 AFR).

Quick Reply: Car is STILL LEAN at WOT! LTFTs going negative at WOT! Please help!