PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who does their own tuning with HPTuners?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who does their own tuning with HPTuners?

If so did you know nothing about when you started and learned along the way? Is it really that complicated? I just bought hp tuners and I am very mechanically inclined and do all my own work and want to start my own tuning but am starting to worry this is not going to be as easy as I thought it would.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I started about 2 years ago and self-taught.
Some tips:

1) read everything, trust nothing
2) make small steps, document everything, backup everything
3) ONE step/change at a time, record results
4) read EVERYTHING you can. tuning forums, books, whatever
5) be careful what you trust. Whats true for one vehicle/application may not be true for another.
6) dont get into the whole "this way of tuning rocks and yours sucks" arguments - tuning is half art and half science.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started about 4 years ago & self taught but with alot of poking at various mentors

here's a good thread I started with some tips that I thought would've helped me out along the way

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11178
Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Launching!

All of the notes above are great points. I started tuning about 5-6 years ago on a complete standalone system. Personally, the way I learned the most was by comparing calibration files for different setups and asking questions on the forums. Start with a stock file and look at your basics like fuel mappings, idle settings, and timing settings before getting into the more advanced features. You will start to notice what settings change along with VE changing modifications.

Good part is once you're familiar with how an EFI system works, a lot of the features/settings across software packages will look familiar and you will be able to learn new packages/applications quickly. I've used AEM, DSMlink, VPCs, AFCs, HPTuners, LS1Edit, EcuTec, etc. and the basic principals of EFI apply to all of them.

Good luck and ask LOTS of questions. Now get yourself a copy of HPTuners if you don't already have one and start having fun!!

Andrew
Old 05-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I started at V1.0 with no tuning-software knowledge, but some
time with logging software and 30 years or so of shade-tree car
maintenance. The tool is not really the issue, it's knowing how
GM does things, how the machine ought to be and how to see
what's out of whack. If you have debugging skills from some
other discipline or hobby you'll find it pretty easy to transfer
them to the PCM diagnosing / tuning job, needing only the
information. If you're not wired that way, it's a tougher road.

Like, you could give one guy a top notch hammer and chisel
and a slab of marble, and get nothing but gravel, but give
Michelangelo a rusty screwdriver and still get art. If he weren't
dead, that is. It's more about where your head is at, or where
you put it.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

good thread! Im very interested in this also.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1C5Vette
If so did you know nothing about when you started and learned along the way? Is it really that complicated? I just bought hp tuners and I am very mechanically inclined and do all my own work and want to start my own tuning but am starting to worry this is not going to be as easy as I thought it would.
One nice thing about tuning it yourself is (if you don't screw up) can make your car run better than any tuner will. If you spend the time to do it, you can make pretty much any cam drivable, and any mod work right.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

^^ Thats what I wanted to hear, thanks guys
Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tuned my Camaro a few years ago. That was my first attempt at tuning. As most have said you need to read, take notes, log, compare, search, ask questions, make small changes, etc. Take you time and always save a copy of each tune you can resort back to if you head into the wrong direction! I recently picked up HPtuners again and I am looking to refresh myself so I can tune the car once the heads/cam is installed.

Good luck
Old 05-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I tuned my Camaro a few years ago. That was my first attempt at tuning. As most have said you need to read, take notes, log, compare, search, ask questions, make small changes, etc. Take you time and always save a copy of each tune you can resort back to if you head into the wrong direction! I recently picked up HPtuners again and I am looking to refresh myself so I can tune the car once the heads/cam is installed.

Good luck
Hey Andy - if you need a hand with the H/C tuning, let me know. I've already picked up a copy for the Z and started tinkering, LOL.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Jedi Master

I do my own tuning. Yes, my car was tuned by someone else initially but I have completely removed their tune and started from scratch with my own. Here is what you need to be successful:

1. PATIENCE is key. Tuning is not "fast" or "easy".
2. Make sure you have a good understanding of how an engine works and why it works.
3. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You can't and shouldn't expect to learn every thing with out some help from others.
4. Make one change at a time, save the tune with a descriptive name. I've been stupid and changed several things at once and that's not a good way to judge what fixed/added a problem.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

I knew things that I had heard from people and it did help to have Nick Williams as a friend . I started doing things on my own, changing things and now one of the biggest things I have learned is:

DON'T GET PICKY AS HELL. aftermarket mods will not always allow your car to RUN/IDLE/NOT HESITATE/ ETC like it does stock. So if you are OCD and you choose some mods that change that, DEAL WITH IT. LMAO

I have been here for I think 5 years now and I have learned to keep it simple. luckily for my car and my mods, I didn't have to tweak this table and set this and do that and modify the hell outa my stock tune. There were in fact just the:
PE enablers, and PE Table, Spark-several tables, DFCO-ALL, VE, MAF, IFR table, DTCs, MIL, cat protect, commanded fuel, knock retard attack rate and others, and of course, MAX VEHICLE SPEED
(there are some more but very minor)

I know that seems like a lot, but compared to some others this is VERY VERY LITTLE.
as people have also said up here, PATIENCE, ONE CHANGE AT ONE TIME, SAVE, SAVE, SAVE, and NOTE NOTE NOTE. LOL
Old 06-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Teching In

+ 1000 Do one change at a time and the log it. For example, if you adjust your timing tables(which is one of the first things to do in IMO), don't go crazy! Then take the car out and scan it. Watch the scan and see if any KR is being pulled. HPtuners is very easy to use as far as turning off DTC, Cags, fan control, gear changes, COT if you remove your cats... The HPTuners forums are another great tool.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Banned

You're going to read a lot. Don't expect to get replies from people on message boards, if you do thats great. I've asked some stuff and never got replies.
The only thing I've tuned is the automatic transmission functions, and PE timing and afr, and that was all based on a tune that a moderator here did for me.
The only way I'd be satisfied with tuning is if I had my own chassis dyno. The days of finding an open road and doing the sotp dyno are gone, people don't appreciate that anymore.
You should also get a wideband O2 meter. I paid $350 for one and it went bad three times in 8 months and used maybe 10 times. The manufactuerer said it wasn't anything i was doing to make it go bad. So...I've personally had some crap luck with tuning.