Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KR help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default KR help

Ok, I have removed a lot of timing from my stock program due to KR, I still get 3-4* KR at tip in and WOT, I added 5 gal of 100 octane to 3 gal of 91 and still get 3-4* KR at tip in and WOT. Any suggestions on what to do mext to remove the KR?
Old 08-16-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: KR help

sounds like my prob... are you getting a P0327 SES also?

When this first started occuring, what was changed? Did it occur right after an LS1 Edit update?

I'm havin the same prob (i lost over 1 second due to running 12* timing, now I'm still only getting 22* of timing... copied high octane tables to low octane)

I've thus far replaced my knock sensors... same prob... tomorrow I have to check out the wiring... maybe a wire was burned by the header...

I'm also going back to a stock tune (may even try my spare stock PCM... though the car'll idle for $hit)

Old 08-16-2003, 10:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say to chase down any sources of engine
mechanical noise that might be giving you a knock
detect (false). With new heads maybe you have some
valvetrain clatter, etc. from a mis-set lifter preload or something. Also any header/exhaust banging can make for bogus knock detects.

Is there any chance that the ignition timing is
just way off after the cam? There's a cam relearn
something-or-other that you have to do, right?

Old 08-17-2003, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Horist, I don't get any codes at all. On 2000+'s there isn't any valveteain adjustment, just the right torque on the rocker arms, so I can't see that. Other than tip it and WOT, the car runs and idles great. I just am confused on why I had to already remove a lot of timing over stock when others with the same cam speak of adding a couple degrees and why there is KR. Is there any chance of it being anything other than false KR? Damn, Damn, Damn, it's always something. We need an experienced tuner over here in our part of the US. There is no one in Las Vegas, NV.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

1st you must make sure if it is knocking or just setting false knock codes. I read that you can teflon tape your 2 knock sensors threads and you also put a bead of silicon around the back side also. Do a search in pcm's for KNOCK SENSORS put it for 3 months and look for my 2nd post in that post you will find a thread that goes into detail about this problem. sorry i tried to post the thread but i was unable {not to great with computers}there is a section in ls1edit that lets you turn off your knock sensors try that then run your car and listen for any noise. DO NOT leave this turned off though. Good luck
Old 08-30-2003, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is there such thing as a cam relearn after a cam install???
Old 08-30-2003, 05:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DO you guys actually HEAR detonation?
Old 08-30-2003, 12:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What data logger? if efi live send me a file and I will take a look at it. yes any audible ping? @ what RPM in WOT? I imagine its under peak tq and tapers off at higher RPM, but these are assumptions and EVERY car is different. It probably really is spk knock I would retard the timing a bit especially under pk tq.

Jeremy Formato
Old 08-30-2003, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

What data logger? if efi live send me a file and I will take a look at it. yes any audible ping? @ what RPM in WOT? I imagine its under peak tq and tapers off at higher RPM, but these are assumptions and EVERY car is different. It probably really is spk knock I would retard the timing a bit especially under pk tq.

Jeremy Formato
Yes I use EFILive. I sent you a log from last night. I have never heard any audible ping anytime I have seen KR on the scanner. Thanks for your help