Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 B1S1 & B2S1 off

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 B1S1 & B2S1 off

on my WOT runs, my B1S1 averages 840mv and my B2S1 averages 910mv. I just replaced the O2 sensors figuring that would solve the problem but it hasn't. What should I specifically look for? a Exhaust leak on the passenger side? what else would cause that to happen? I'm stomped.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2003, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: O2 B1S1 & B2S1 off

Are they are not the same the distance from the engine?
Old 08-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Teching In

I'm not quite sure if they are the same distance or not. but here are the only pictures I found.

From the picture lt looks like it's only getting a reading from 2 cylinders instead of 4. That I think is a little wierd.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

That would defiantly cause a difference in reading between your O2 sensors. O2 sensors are very dependant on temperature.

Having one O2 exposed to only 2 cylinders and the other exposed to 4 cylinders will generate two very different O2 sensor readings because the indicated temperature at the 4 point collection will be much higher than the 2 point collection.

It might not seem like it, but indicated temperature works like passing your hand over a candle. If you pass your hand over a candle very quickly you will hardly feel the flame. Imagine passing your hand over the candle repeatedly like a slow moving pendulum. It will be hot, but you will still be able to easily tolerate the heat. Now imagine passing your hand over the candle repeatedly very quickly. You will notice a significant increase in the amount of heat that you feel on your hand.
O2 sensors work the same way because temperature exits the cylider in pulses as the combusted charge leaves the cylinder. An O2 sensor exposed only to 2 cylinders will see half as many hot pulses (your hand passing not very frequently over the flame) as would an O2 sensor exposed to 4 cylinders (your hand passing very frequently over the flame).

Either way, I wouldn't sweat the split on your oxygen sensors.

Good Luck
Old 08-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Teching In

NoGo, So would it be safe to assume that the Bank 2 side would be the more accurate reading?

Thanks....
Old 09-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Well this week I started getting a misfire on cylinder #8 and found out that my spark plug & coil were bad so we replaced them. The car runs way better now and my O2's are very close to each other now. I guess I solved my problem. It's wierd how the car was not showing any signs of a bad plug or bad coil for a long time hmmm...