Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

change oil light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default change oil light?

my oil change light came on and i knew it was time to change it anyway. But After the oil change the light still comes on for like 2 minutes when i start the car up. What do i need to do to clear it or why is it coming on?
Old 07-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Teching In

I'd say the oil change light wasn't reset after the oil change (you should always reset it after you change the oil so the system "knows" you have a new filter and oil in the car). Here is how to reset it: 1.) Turn the key to the "on" position, but don't start the car. 2.) Push in the trip reset button for roughly 11 seconds, or until the oil change light begins blinking. 3.) After the oil change light blinks, the system has been reset and your problem should be solved. ...Try this and let me know if you got it worked out!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Teching In

So, my previous post explains the "how", here's the "why":

The system itself uses an algorithm that tracks engine revolutions and temperature and predicts oil life based on these parameters and driver use. Basically, the oil life monitor tracks how hard the vehicle has been run and in what environmental conditions to determine when the oil should definitely be changed out. However, the oil life monitor doesn't actually check the condition of the oil itself. This is why the change oil light should be reset after evey oil change; the monitor doesn't know when the oil and filter have been changed out, so it "assumes" the oil is still the old oil until you "tell" it differently by resetting the change oil light...

I hope this info helps out!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Teching In

thanks!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jujofields
So, my previous post explains the "how", here's the "why":

The system itself uses an algorithm that tracks engine revolutions and temperature and predicts oil life based on these parameters and driver use. Basically, the oil life monitor tracks how hard the vehicle has been run and in what environmental conditions to determine when the oil should definitely be changed out. However, the oil life monitor doesn't actually check the condition of the oil itself. This is why the change oil light should be reset after evey oil change; the monitor doesn't know when the oil and filter have been changed out, so it "assumes" the oil is still the old oil until you "tell" it differently by resetting the change oil light...

I hope this info helps out!
Well this is close but not entirely true, My oil light would come on every 5000 miles no matter how it was driven so my guess that it is just going off the odometer, also re-setting the oil light, I had to push and hole the trip meter before I keyed on so??
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

once your oil change light comes on... change your oil. you then must RESET the oil change light. it only comes on as a reminder and the car has no idea you changed the oil