PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning Issue? Running Lean?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tuning Issue? Running Lean?

First time in here I'll try to be brief...

After Mods in sig car were done runs 225*-230* with air on. Temps are reading from a scan tool not guage. This is 90* outside temps in traffic with air on. I am now thinking the tune might be lean in the lower RPM's. 12.3 across the board WOT. Water never boils even at these temps and coolant overflow just gets warm

Car will cool back down to lower 200's* after running at speed with a 195* stat.

Knowns:
Radiator good
Themostat good
WP seems to circulate water fine
Fans work and come on high at 185*
No air in system
no water in oil or disappearing so no blown HG.

Could UD pulley and a tranny cooler do this?
No other H/C car of I know have this issue
I know these cars run hotter than the old Gen I stuff but this just seems a little hot to me. Am I overly concerned?

I don't know what to look at next

THANKS for any input
Old 07-15-2008, 05:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Anybody????
Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a bit on the warm side. Sounds like you have covered all the bases though. You runnin a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water? If it is a high mileage water pump, might wanna consider replacing it just to be sure.

The only other thing I would do is run another LS6 style coolant crossover on the back of the heads (in place of the block-offs) and run a rubber hose from it to join the front crossover tube - this prevents steam pockets that can form in the back of the heads. GM changed to the front only crossover when they went to the LS6 intake, but in my opinion, that was a mistake - and ported heads only make it worse by thinning out the water jackets...
Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
That is a bit on the warm side. Sounds like you have covered all the bases though. You runnin a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water? If it is a high mileage water pump, might wanna consider replacing it just to be sure.

The only other thing I would do is run another LS6 style coolant crossover on the back of the heads (in place of the block-offs) and run a rubber hose from it to join the front crossover tube - this prevents steam pockets that can form in the back of the heads. GM changed to the front only crossover when they went to the LS6 intake, but in my opinion, that was a mistake - and ported heads only make it worse by thinning out the water jackets...
Thanks for confirming I am running a little hot! I am running the coolant crossover hooked up with the FAST so I dunno? Been thinking about trying the new high flow EDDY pump but I don't have $$$ to just throw at it Should I see about getting on a wideband and looking at the low rpm AFR?

Thanks again for the input BLACK02WS6
Old 07-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the time, when you have this exact problem its caused by a partial blockage in the radiator. It only takes a few tubes to be blocked up, and it reduces the efficiency enough that it runs hotter with the AC on.
Best way to check, is to remove your fans, run the car (keep an eye on the temp) and feel the radiator FROM TOP TO BOTTOM. You have to remove the fans to get access to the core. You most likely will find the lower portion of the radiator is going to be cool.
You can also do this with an infrared temp gun, but you still have to pull the fans out to get a shot at the core. Again, check the temp from top to bottom.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen once... Turned out to be a plastic bag that got sucked up and was covering 1/3 of the radiator. After I removed the bag I was back to the steady 190-192 reading.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Andy, where have you been?!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 160* thermostat and my engine runs at 190* with the a/c on in 90* weather. I think if you switch out the t-stat, you'll be fine.

Search this Thread