PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam swap concerns!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam swap concerns!!!

I have ordered a cam and spring upgrade for my 1999 C5. Cam is in the 232/235 range for duration and the 585/589 range for lift at 112LSA. I have seen conflicting info as far as if I need a custom tune or not. The cam docs say computor compatable, but others says I need a retune to get the car to run right. I am in the KC area and I really am having a hard time finding anyone versed in late model LS1 performace upgrades. I have heard that you can send your computor off and have it retuned to the new performance components. Is this recomended? I am starting to think this simple cam swap is getting to be more involved that first thought. Any tuners in the KC area that can advise???
Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

I would get the car tuned after the cam swap. A dyno tune would be best but if you can't find anyone a mail order is better than nothing. My cam is very close to the one you are putting in your car. I had the mail order done so my tune was safe to drive the car until I could get it to someone to dyno tune the car. If you can't find anyone that can tune your car in town I think TSP charges like 225 for a mail order.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol yeah mate with that cam she will be screaming for a tune.. It will run like a bag of **** till you at least get your fuelling and idle fixed up. Then of course you won't be getting anywhere near the cams potential without revised timing.