Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't run after mail-order tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't run after mail-order tune

I got a mail order tune from one of the sponsors here this past week. Reinstalled the PCM, hooked everything back up, doublechecked everything, and put the key in and fired her up. Then it immediately died. Tried again, this time with my foot on the gas a bit(enough to hold her at 1000-1200 rpms) and fired her up again. It has a lot of surge and will die if I take my foot off the gas. I've already contacted the sponsor and they said that it's a bad connection on a sensor. I've been over that motor atleast 4 times now. Nothing is disconnected. It's not throwing any codes, and at 1k rpms it's running about 26.5-27* of timing. Any ideas why she won't run? Anything to check that I possibly missed?

***For those that don't want to read thru all that***
Mail order tune, car won't run with it, neither the sponsor or I can figure out why
Old 07-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a pretty big cam and it may take some teasing
into place, for the idle. I know I had a hard time
getting idle to catch right after cam swap. You may
want to foot-prop the idle until semi-warm, then
lower into it seeing if it will trim in. Idle is very fussy
about fueling and airflows, and would be one of the
tougher things to get right working over the mail and
without any scan data.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A member on another board has the MS4 with a tune from the same company(which is also where I bought my parts) with no problems. I finally got it to idle once I put the stock MAF back on. Went to pull out of the garage, got to the end of the driveway and it died on me. I'm gonna see if someone in my area has HP Tuners and can take a look at it for me. They offered to retune it for me. But that isn't really a possibility this week as the car has a couple "appointments"
Old 07-25-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try to adjust the throttle stop screw and do a TPS re learn. I have a very similar cam the had a huge surge, and would die if I didn't pedal it. This worked like a champ.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first done my cam change I had a mail order tune also. It done the exact same thing as yours. It just took a little bit for the pcm to learn the idle. It would die just as soon as I let off the throttle.