Sponsored by:

Need help troubleshooting 2004 GTO after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Need help troubleshooting 2004 GTO after cam swap

Hi guys I need some help on this one.

I've been tuning LS1 cars for years now but I have a 2004 GTO M6 that has a major problem. I think its more of an electrical problem than anything. Car ran perfect before the cam swap.

The guy came to me for a basic tune to get his car running better, he swapped in a 232 236 114lsa cam with supporting valvetrain parts, cold air kit and different catback. He currently has the stock manifolds but getting LTs next month.

With the stock tune or my basic tune, the car is gutless, a mini van can out run this thing.

- It has major misfires on cyl 1
- You can smell raw fuel when its at idle
- LTrims on bank 1 is at +25 at idle and bank 2 is at -6
- When driving it goes in and out of closed loop
- Injector bank 1 is about double of bank 2 (ms)
- Sounds like half the engine is running/firing
- It has Ignition coil codes for cyl 1,3,5,7

I checked all the wiring and all looks fine, didn't see any pinched wires.

Both injector fuses are fine, ohmed them out with my DVM.

I'm out of ideas of things to look for, any help would be apreaciated.

Bill
Old 07-26-2008, 07:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you done a compression check and a leak down on cyl 1 vs other cylinders? Have you pulled the valve covers off or checked the plug?

1 cylinder on 1 bank is 25% right? So if 1cyl is not having a combustion cycle and just pumping air, the o2 sensor notices this and shows a 25% leaner mixture (plus whatever the stft's are- up to 50) then the other bank. If there is a problem on one bank, such as what you have, the fuel trims will make matters much worse.

Its good that you narrowed this down to cylinder 1. Note all the things that affect that 1 cylinder: injector, pushrod, valve spring, lifter, valves, rings, spark plug, plug wire, coil.

If this were something like an exhaust leak, you could clear the fuel trims and the car would drive perfectly fine until it learned the mixture again. If this were a vacuum leak and you cleared the fuel trims, it would drive worse until the trims learned the mixture again.

Are you able to clear the fuel trims with your scanner? If so, clear them and see how the car feels, and keep clearing them. Or put the car in open loop and test it. It doesn't sound like an electrical problem. If the car was fine before the cam swap, I would look at the obvious things that have been changed- springs, pushrods, lifters, plugs etc....

I hope this gets you on the right track, if you need any additional help you can call me @ 813-495-8778

Jeremy
Old 07-26-2008, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

I would swap coil packs side to side then move the #1 plug and see if the codes/misfires follow.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

I swapped coil pack #1 with coil pack #3 problem didnt follow.

The guy came by at 9PM last night and was trying to figure it out till 11PM in my driveway.

I can clear the Ltrims, put it in closed loop, open loop, doesn't make a difference.

It is bank 1 cyl 1 that is having major misfires.

The exhaust manifolds were never taken off, all he did was remove the intake, coil packs, valve covers, front timing cover, etc for just a cam swap.

I'm thinking he has 2 problems, maybe the intake has a leak on cyl 1 and some other issue.

The thing that gets me is that it has coil pack codes for the whole bank 1 (drivers side)

Jeremy, I think I'll give you a call in a few...

Bill
Old 07-26-2008, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry i ment to say switch the whole assmbly for 1,3,5,7 with the one for 2,4,6,8. and see if you get codes to switch.

Then swap plug # 1 to say #6 and see if the misfire follows then the same with the plug wire.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

See if he is off a tooth on the cam gear during the cam swap.

Robin
Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tried a "noid light" on #1 injector, tried
swapping #1 with #3, and put an inductive timing
light on #1 plug wire to see if it's spark related?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:00 PM
8 Second Club

Sounds like a mechanical issue to me. Double check work that was performed by him first.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were solely mechanical, why would the PCM set a DTC for driver's side coil(s) where the issue is? Just throwing that out...
Old 07-26-2008, 09:35 PM
8 Second Club

Well that is a good point, are they coil codes or misfire codes?
Swapping the entire bank coil pack from side to side would have been a good fast diagnostic.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have to give him a call today to have him do a few things, he lives on the other side of town.

Hopefully he installed the cam correctly and its not 1 tooth off.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Might check that all the spark plugs are secure (torqued down) as well. A loose plug will bring the engine way down on power and create the lean bank as well as DTC's.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

I talked to the car owner yesterday and for some reason he thinks he installed the cam 180 degrees out, is that even possible?

He said he is going to tear everything apart and "reinstall" the cam making sure cyl 1 is at TDC and its dot to dot.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Billiumss
I talked to the car owner yesterday and for some reason he thinks he installed the cam 180 degrees out, is that even possible?

He said he is going to tear everything apart and "reinstall" the cam making sure cyl 1 is at TDC and its dot to dot.
it doesn't explain the DTC that was set by the PCM though...
Old 07-28-2008, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Billiumss

Really there is a way to check without tearing it apart. Because the balancer is not degree'd it is a little harder. Get the cam specs, look at the events close to TDC. Use a dial indicator on the pushrod for #1 at that event. Lets say the intake opens at 2 degrees ATDC. Make a pointer to use as a reference. Pull a spark plug , find and mark TDC on the balancer. This isn't an axact science. If it is off a tooth it will be between 12 and 20 degrees off where the event should happen. It will be noticable without splitting hairs.
It's easier to pull all the spark plugs to make turning the engine by hand easier. Look for timing tape that is close to the same diameter as the harmonic balancer. It will help get close on the degrees. Again if off a tooth it will be big numbers.

good luck!

Robin
Old 07-29-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

***UPDATE***

Car is up and running perfect.

The cam was installed 180 degrees out!!! (from what car owner told me) Still don't know how that was possible but it did run.

After he "reinstalled" the cam, I highly suggested replacing the front cover seal and using a new crank bolt, which he decided to do after I explained why.

Thanks to all that tried to help me out, you learn something new everyday!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

wow. that is interesting. Glad you found out what it was. thank you
Jeremy
Old 07-29-2008, 11:21 PM
FormerVendor

crazy! Glad you guys got it straight. Which leads to... what about this process led to the PCM deciding to set codes for the coils on the one side?