PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HIGH idle when map sensor is plugged in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HIGH idle when map sensor is plugged in?

Ive been having a problem with my car for some time now. when i plug in my map sensor, and start the car, the idle will limb to 2500-3000 rpm as heat builds, and eventually come down to 1000 ish or so. but as soon as i touch the gas at all itll surge back up to 3000 and stay there for 30 seconds or more. if i unplug the map sensor however, it will idle relatively consistantly at 800 rpm, with a few hiccups here and there. the pcm is not tuned yet for the new cam, i spoke with mike at straightline today and he doesnt think that the tune would cause an idle like that. its a brand new ls6 intake and map sensor, just for kicks i brought out my old map sensor from my ls1 intake to see what it read. they both seem to read within 1-2 kpa of each other. the baro reading is 95 kpa and koeo the map reads around 92-93 kpa. at idle (while it is sitting there for a few seconds) map reads about 43 kpa i beleive, ill have to check again to be certain. Do those readings seem out of line? I dont think I have a vacuum leak, I have tried spraying carb cleaner around with no effect, and as I said, with the sensor unplugged, the idle is fine. I do plan to bring it to work to hook it up to a smoke machine to see what i find. thanks for any help guys, if you have any questions i can see what i can come up with. btw, i havent got an aftermarket tuning program, just a snap on scan tool
Old 07-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

to the top
Old 10-31-2019, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Big Z
Ive been having a problem with my car for some time now. when i plug in my map sensor, and start the car, the idle will limb to 2500-3000 rpm as heat builds, and eventually come down to 1000 ish or so. but as soon as i touch the gas at all itll surge back up to 3000 and stay there for 30 seconds or more. if i unplug the map sensor however, it will idle relatively consistantly at 800 rpm, with a few hiccups here and there. the pcm is not tuned yet for the new cam, i spoke with mike at straightline today and he doesnt think that the tune would cause an idle like that. its a brand new ls6 intake and map sensor, just for kicks i brought out my old map sensor from my ls1 intake to see what it read. they both seem to read within 1-2 kpa of each other. the baro reading is 95 kpa and koeo the map reads around 92-93 kpa. at idle (while it is sitting there for a few seconds) map reads about 43 kpa i beleive, ill have to check again to be certain. Do those readings seem out of line? I dont think I have a vacuum leak, I have tried spraying carb cleaner around with no effect, and as I said, with the sensor unplugged, the idle is fine. I do plan to bring it to work to hook it up to a smoke machine to see what i find. thanks for any help guys, if you have any questions i can see what i can come up with. btw, i havent got an aftermarket tuning program, just a snap on scan tool
i know this is a very old thread but I was wondering what the issue would be causing this?
Old 10-31-2019, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Yeah, maybe a new set of eyes will solve it?

Quick Reply: HIGH idle when map sensor is plugged in?