Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

olsd tune in cammed cars!? lean starts question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default olsd tune in cammed cars!? lean starts question

OK.. so after months of mind numbing logging, research, and number crunching I have found that some of the posts hit the nail on the head as far as 02 sensors reading a cammed car incorrectly.. I have my maf tune and sdcl tune about as good as it will get with FT's being +-2 and wot that commanded being whats read by the WB02.. also drivablity is almost stock like with the tunes having no surging, idle or common issues a cam car has. One thing i could not get though is why my learned AFR in sdcl and maf tunes was always at around 15.5 for idle and cruise which made the car sound and feel a little off at idle and cruise... im sure there are ways with those tunes to get it exactly how you want it but with the info available on here and no pro tuner in the area to help, i have done what i can.. It came down to knowing the 02's were the root of the evil i was dealing with... So i switched the tune to an OLSD tune after ve, ect were very close. The car runs so much more predictable and smoother now. This was by far the best result since i have been tuning. it seems the cammed setups (especially a hotcam) from what ive seen are plagued by difficult tuning in maf and clsd due to the overlap of the cam and fudged 02 readings.. OLSD was the best thing ive done so far. This is after spending alot of time on correcting VE, maf and drivability issues in the clsd and maf tunes, so it was a fairly painless switch. I would not recommend using OL if you dont want to retune for different times of the year or have not tuned the other tables first but was by far the best setup for my car yet. I have run into the lean warm startup issue as well as lean cold start as it seems many who have used this method of tunning have run into and have no definate fix for the prob. whats odd is the fact that during OL when i was using a CLSD tune the idle was always right on when cold but still was lean on warm starts. same with the maf tune. The first start after going to OL the cold start was fine but the next day it is now very lean on start either way cold or hot which dont make sense... Just like many others have stated the lean issue goes away after a few minutes. The Idle AFR when cold changed even though the settings have not changed. So anyway what im saying is if you want to beat your head on the table tuning a cammed car and have just about given up.. you might want to give Open loop a try.. also if you guys have any suggestions of the lean startups especially hot starts i would appreciate it. I have read through and seen many posts on this but it seems noone can say what to change for sure to get at least the amount it is lean on startup down to a feasable number better then 17-18.1on hot starts and 16-17.1 on cold start... normal driving is only about .1- .2 off on the wb otherwise.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

You wouldn't want to know how much time I've spent on my OLSD tune. My AFR at startup may initaly be like 16.1, then quickly tapers to my 14.8 AFR on idle. It just takes time and are you adjusting the VE while cranking table also?
Old 08-08-2008, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Mine is OLSD, And on first start up, it goes to 16+. After it warms up it will hold in the low 14 range, and driving at about 18-1900 rpm, it holds pretty steady at 13.6-13-9.. When I floor it, it will dips all the way down to 11.2, but then catch back up to its self and stay around 12.1-12.3.