PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the Pros or anyone that has had this problem

Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for the Pros or anyone that has had this problem

I'll try to explain this the best I can - I figure someone has had this same issue and can point me in the right direction. I'm looking to take my car to get it dyno tuned, but want to fix whatever is wrong with it before taking it. Here's the deal.
My car is using almost twice the gas that it normally uses. The idle is rougher than normal and will almost burn your eyes if you are behind it from fumes that smell like raw fuel. Under hard acceleration, it seems fine - runs like a bat outta hell - but on the low RPM side (steady idle on the highway or at speed and you pull out to pass a vehicle) it wants to spit and sputter, like it's misfiring or just getting drenched with fuel. It's not a matter of it cutting out or anything - and if you give it a little more pedal to get the RPM's, it clears up and takes off. I had autozone put a scanner on it - and also had a friend of mine (who's more old school than new, but is learning), both scanners said MAF or vacuum problem. So, I bought and put on an SLP MAF sensor - had them clear the code today - and it was back to doing the same thing within 10 minutes of driving it, lights on and acting the same way.
It's simply just drinking the fuel - almost like something is telling to use WAY too much. Now, as for the car, it's a cammed '01 LS1, ported/polished TB/underdrive pulleys, LT headers, Offroad Y pipe, Magnaflow exhaust, stall. It was dyno tuned before I bought it but the guy said that was before the exhaust, pulleys and TB. But, it was running perfectly fine up until about a month ago - so it isn't that it needs re-tuned. The SES light is back on, of course, but I didn't have it rescanned tonight - just kind of aggravated that I spent the $$$ on the MAF and didn't need to. But, it's nice to have a little bit bigger one for when I do get it tuned.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated - and feel free to post/ask any type question. I'll do my best to answer it.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put the stock MAF back on it and check the Eng Sens fuse in the fuse box under the hood. Also next time you want help with an SES light or codes, get and post the actual Pxxxx numbers, not just the description.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry about that - I've got the code. I was trying to describe the problem and completely forgot to put it in. It is P0102. Thank you for the reply, I'll check that.

Search this Thread