Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune for 5psi?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune for 5psi?

Is it really necessary to tune my car for only 5psi of boost for a rear mount turbo? I dont plan on running anymore than 5psi period unless I get a tune. I will have a wideband, fuel pressure and boost gauge.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, even 5 psi is enough to blow your motor with 25 degrees of timing, and not enough fuel.

Ryan
Old 08-13-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I mean would a hand help tuner be sufficient? I really dont want to pay $800 for a tune. Or can I send my PCM out and get a base map tune?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as you have a a/f ratio and the right timing you will be fine. Maf should help on the a/f. Would I put a 5,000 blower on my car and not get a tune. NO
Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Is it really necessary to tune my car for only 5psi of boost for a rear mount turbo? I dont plan on running anymore than 5psi period unless I get a tune. I will have a wideband, fuel pressure and boost gauge.

What do you guys think?

somehow you need to get more fuel to compensate for more airflow......

You could do it cheaply with a fmu and your wideband
Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I mean would a hand help tuner be sufficient? I really dont want to pay $800 for a tune. Or can I send my PCM out and get a base map tune?
It would be a huge waste of the money spent on the turbo kit to not tune it properly.

Tuning is more important than any other aspect of a build like this....it should have been considered as an additional cost up front, as it should with any build.
You cant even properly/safely run most Head/Cam setups without tuning, so it should be considered an absolute MUST for FI tuning.

I would also assume you have added larger injectors...running them without a tune will cause your driveability and mileage to be terrible as well....

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-13-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah man agreed you have to get more fuel and the timing will definitely need to be brought down.
i can tell you from experience that it will run like crap and wont take long for piston to take a dump.
its money well spent
Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
It would be a huge waste of the money spent on the turbo kit to not tune it properly.

Tuning is more important than any other aspect of a build like this....it should have been considered as an additional cost up front, as it should with any build.
You cant even properly/safely run most Head/Cam setups without tuning, so it should be considered an absolute MUST for FI tuning.

I would also assume you have added larger injectors...running them without a tune will cause your driveability and mileage to be terrible as well....

Thanks
Mike
Well I was hoping the stock fuel system could take up to 5lbs of boost. If not I already have a Walbro 255 and will buy some 39lb injectors.

BTW im not going to be buying a kit. Im making a custom kit.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock fuel system and the stock tune are 2 different things entirely.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
the stock fuel system and the stock tune are 2 different things entirely.

Well yeah. I never said anything about that. I just didnt know if the factory pcm tune was cablable of pulling enough timing and upping the fuel enough to compensate for the extra 5psi. Apparently not. So I may try a mail order but havent decided.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:56 AM
9 Second Club

Just like I said over in the "How much for tuning" post - it baffles me that people will spend thousands of dollars on a build and then shortcut or bitch about spending the money on a proper tune... and then a couple months later, you usually see those same people posting how they blew up yet another engine... Yes, you need a tune for 5#!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Just like I said over in the "How much for tuning" post - it baffles me that people will spend thousands of dollars on a build and then shortcut or bitch about spending the money on a proper tune... and then a couple months later, you usually see those same people posting how they blew up yet another engine... Yes, you need a tune for 5#!
I know I need to tune some things....but my real ? was would a hand held tuner or a mail order tune be sufficient?

Also Im only spending about a $1k on my build and thats not buying crap either.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

I know I need to tune some things....but my real ? was would a hand held tuner or a mail order tune be sufficient?

I don't think a handheld or mail order tune would work......there are multiple variables that vary from car to car
Old 08-14-2008, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think that you will have a turbo setup that runs and works for 1K you are dreaming. The supporting mods alone will cost more than that.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
If you think that you will have a turbo setup that runs and works for 1K you are dreaming. The supporting mods alone will cost more than that.
I love how people say stuff like this. Thats why I really dont post stuff like this on here. I just laugh it off and do it anyways. I have already turbo'd my buddeis camaro for under $1300 minus the tune of course. I can buy the parts for under a $1k. I just shop around for good deals. For 5psi I will be using the stock injectors and stock fuel pump. If I need injectors I will buy 03 cobra 39lb injectors for about $80 and I already have a Walbro 255 if I need that. I already have a ton of parts between me and my buddies. So yeah I think I can do a custom rear mount for about $1k.

Turbo - $399 (Master Power 60trim)
Intercooler - $150 (ebay)
Piping - Already have
BOV - $100
Wastgate - $100
Oil Pump - $200
Wideband Gauge - Already have
Fuel Pressure Gauge - Already have
Boost Gauge - Already have
Lines
T-bolt clamps
Silcone Couplers

Tune - Which Im not including the price cause its not part of the kit.

May be missing some things.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

how many people need to tell you to get a damn professional dyno tune? You've posted in 2 different forums about this and you still arent sure???
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Launching!

I love how people come on here and ask questions but already know everything. When someone that has been around and has a lot of expieriance tries to lend some advice they laugh it off. Have fun throwing all your junk away and starting over.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Subliminal Hit
I love how people come on here and ask questions but already know everything. When someone that has been around and has a lot of expieriance tries to lend some advice they laugh it off. Have fun throwing all your junk away and starting over.
When did I ever claim to know everything? I didnt start this tread to debate on whether or not I can put together a kit for under a $1k. Yeah junk LOL there is nothing in my kit that isnt a popular name brand.

Seriously though it amazes me how retards like you waste your time posting in someones thread when you offer no real advice. Thanks for wasting your time and my time.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Why don't you get a tuning suite like hptuners and do it yourself....?

500 one time ;-)
Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

When did I ever claim to know everything? I didnt start this tread to debate on whether or not I can put together a kit for under a $1k. Yeah junk LOL there is nothing in my kit that isnt a popular name brand.

Seriously though it amazes me how retards like you waste your time posting in someones thread when you offer no real advice. Thanks for wasting your time and my time.
bottom line is you need a real tune or be prepare to replace your motor

you might as well go for 8psi and save up for a tune