PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would the real tuners please stand UP ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry would the real tuners please stand UP ?

Well I have spent every dime I have and not have getting this car done over the last year after my last camaro was stolen. My problem is I have had the car at 4 different shops and all have tuned it and $3999 in tuning and it runs like complete ****...? I have gone to the same shop in rochester the last couple times and now I cant even drive it, Its that bad in closed loop it just spits and sputters and cuts out under load. I put on a friends carb setup to be sure its not the engine and its not ran like a animal. As it did with a speed density tune before but it would not pass inspection like that. I have spent all my money the last 3 weeks going back and forth to tuners about $400 a week in travel and tuning now Im about broke. Summer is almost over and I still have not drove this thing with EFI.

I have had several tuners send messages already with offers of course of $400, $500 and even $800 promising to make it run unbelievable just like all the others ?

Is there anyone out there that would be willing to help me out and put your tuning skills where your mouth is and put your wallet aside for the sake of helping someone that lives for racing and cant drive his car ?the car is a iron lme 408 l92 carb style intake with an elbow and 90mm tb cam is a 244/252
Old 08-16-2008, 01:49 PM
FormerVendor

Unfortunately, getting a shop to tune it for free may prove difficult. It most likely will take a decent amount of time to sort out the issues.

That being said, generally when a car does not respond to tuning correctly, one of two things is happening.

1. The tuner is not doing a good job. I don't know who you had tune it but if 4 reputable tuners cannot make it run right, then that probably is not the case.

2. There is something wrong that cannot be fixed with a tune. To many times I have seen car's come to our shop for a tune, but are nowhere near ready to be tuned. A good tuner can do amazing things, but you cannot "fix" a car with tuning software.

You need to find a shop that not only has a dam good tuner, but also has a dam good diagnostic technician, which is why we have a 20 year GM Master tech on staff
Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HPT in New Braunfels give them a call... u wont be disappointed
Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Launching!

I dint feel the car is not ready it has been 9.30's last season on s SD tune so I dont see the big deal with closed loop being added ? all i changed from last season is the camshaft springs and went to closed loop. I am not tottally stupid I have been low eight in a door car I had with a 632 in it i built the complete car myself as well as 5 other cars, also this runs great with my friends carb setup on it with the MSD 6010 box everyshop around here is not reputable by any means the only shop i would consider well known is New Era they are a sponsor so I tried them last and the tune was worse than the tune I had before from TTP the TTP tune the car ran great just a couple hiccups now and then.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

SD can be open loop or closed loop. Closed loop can be SD or MAF. What combination are you trying to tune?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Launching!

It originally had open loop speed density tune with no 02's ran great but could not inspect it for street driving I used a dealer plate ? I wanted to register it to be legit so i added a 85mm SLP maf and 02's and had it tuned in closed loop ?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow sounds like you have found some bad tuners, my tuner has offered to change my tune just do to a small idle problem at times, ofcourse you have alot more wild setup!

Good luck to you man, let us know what you find.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

So you're telling these people to tune that combo to run right AND pass inspection?
Sorry I'm not a real tuner but you are asking for free advice from someone who has put time and money into their knowledge, good luck with that. Having said that maybe some will prove me wrong.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Jedi Master

How hard could it possibly be to tune your car? You have a wideband installed right?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm thinking that slp maf has got the tuner starting with a blank page on your set up.
why not closed loop SD? your emmissions tests are plug and play? i do not see that cam passing a sniffer test
Old 08-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Launching!

There is no sniffer test where I live they plug into the OBD port and check for codes I can have 2 deleted sensors or emmission faults and still pass the check engine light cannot be on thats all it cannot have any codes at the time of inspection that are emmission system related ? does not matter if you change settings to avoid setting codes there just cannot be any.

As for 9000th01ss I have already spent $3,500 trying to get this tuned I havent asked anyone for a free ride just a legit tune for my money ? new era is in NY they know what I need to be inspected if it was not possible they should say that Im not that hard to deal with. Dont tell me you can do something then charge me and not do it ? how would you feel after $3,500 and 12 hours driving not to mention the time and still not have a good tune ? I see hundreds on here with setups just like mine and no problems runs great so iknow its possible. I want someone to prove they can tune it then I will pay what ever it cost once it runs right and I know it is the tune cause as soon as put a carb on it runs like a champ 10.40's on motor ?
Old 08-17-2008, 03:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If your plug-in test can pass with 2 not readies, you should stay in OL SD. Hell, my MAF not ready is the only thing that shows on my GTO, as well as a few other cars I know of. The rest can be tuned completely out, even to the point that all the other readiness monitors check instantly.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can have the PCM in OLSD without failing the O2 Sensors. The only code you will have is for the MAF.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can run SD without failing the MAF too with a little work in the dynamic airflow area
Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 3timeracin

As for 9000th01ss I have already spent $3,500 trying to get this tuned I havent asked anyone for a free ride just a legit tune for my money ? new era is in NY they know what I need to be inspected if it was not possible they should say that Im not that hard to deal with. Dont tell me you can do something then charge me and not do it ? how would you feel after $3,500 and 12 hours driving not to mention the time and still not have a good tune?
Grow some ***** and do something about it?
What if you paid them for a head/cam swap and they gave it back to you with the original heads and cam, would you pay and leave?

Thats basically the situation you're in now, you paid for something and didn't get what was promised. Thats the first issue to address IMO, screw the car for now I'd be working on getting my money back.
Can you honestly say you're looking for another tuner that can do it right, so in the end you'll have a nice running car with $7000 worth of tuning?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
You can run SD without failing the MAF too with a little work in the dynamic airflow area
yep.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

3timeracin,

Your situation really sucks. Most of us know how frustration tuning can be when having to rely on others whom just can't seem to figure it out. Are you close to South Eastern Lake Erie? I have tuning software & am willing to have a look. Am not promising anything other than an offer from a fellow board member to help. Am also not a pro-tuner & am relatively new to tuning. However, I do have a basic understanding of tuning head, cam, headers, MAF, SD for street & WOT. Learned from tuning my own & from the assistance of many more experienced than I. Anyway, wanted to offer something.

My guess is as was noted several posts above where there was a suggestion made that there may be a mechanical issue in conjunction with the tuning issue.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Launching!

No I wouldnt pay I would get my patrol car and take them in for fraud. I am firm believer of getting what you pay for and your word is your word you telling someone one thing and doing another.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Grow some ***** and do something about it?
What if you paid them for a head/cam swap and they gave it back to you with the original heads and cam, would you pay and leave?

Thats basically the situation you're in now, you paid for something and didn't get what was promised. Thats the first issue to address IMO, screw the car for now I'd be working on getting my money back.
Can you honestly say you're looking for another tuner that can do it right, so in the end you'll have a nice running car with $7000 worth of tuning?
No I wouldnt pay I would get my patrol car and take them in for fraud. I am firm believer of getting what you pay for and your word is your word you telling someone one thing and doing another
Old 08-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1-450
3timeracin,

Your situation really sucks. Most of us know how frustration tuning can be when having to rely on others whom just can't seem to figure it out. Are you close to South Eastern Lake Erie? I have tuning software & am willing to have a look. Am not promising anything other than an offer from a fellow board member to help. Am also not a pro-tuner & am relatively new to tuning. However, I do have a basic understanding of tuning head, cam, headers, MAF, SD for street & WOT. Learned from tuning my own & from the assistance of many more experienced than I. Anyway, wanted to offer something.

My guess is as was noted several posts above where there was a suggestion made that there may be a mechanical issue in conjunction with the tuning issue.
Well I switched to 950hp carb with the MSD 6010 and went to the track last night went 10.42,10.47 and 10.42 almost back to back so i dont see a mechanical issue ?