Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleted EGR codes still coming on

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deleted EGR codes still coming on

About 1 week ago I did a LT header install w/ AIR and EGR delete. I tuned out the codes via my Diablosport Predator tuner, started it up, no codes, all was great. Yesterday I was driving home and one of the AIR system codes popped on so I figured I must have missed it when I was tuning codes out. I went back through and made sure I got them all, well now whenever I start the car I get P0405 (EGR position sensor circuit low voltage) coming on. I can clear it and it won't come on again until I start the car again. I have tried going through and redeleting them them with the Predator and this little bugger won't go away. It has a field for picking what mph EGR enables at so I maxed it out at 255 and that didn't help either. If you tune something out, how does it just pop back on unless you missed it, which I know I didn't do since I've tried 3 or 4 times now and it is just this one code that won't go away. Any advice?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Any help guys? Luckily I don't have inspection until next year, but gosh is it still annoying. I cleared the code out this morning just so I wouldn't be driving to work with it on.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned

I wasn't aware you could DELETE these codes with a Diablosport. I know you can CLEAR the codes once they are set with a handheld. DELETING them means you are telling the PCM to not report them as a DTC. Therefore even if it should report a DTC it will not do so because you program the reporting feature out of the system. CLEARING them means you are simply erasing the memory of PCM after it has reported a DTC. Therefore the next time the instance occurs (i.e. starting your car) it will reset. My recommendation is get HP Tuners.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSAUTOCHROME
I wasn't aware you could DELETE these codes with a Diablosport. I know you can CLEAR the codes once they are set with a handheld. DELETING them means you are telling the PCM to not report them as a DTC. Therefore even if it should report a DTC it will not do so because you program the reporting feature out of the system. CLEARING them means you are simply erasing the memory of PCM after it has reported a DTC. Therefore the next time the instance occurs (i.e. starting your car) it will reset. My recommendation is get HP Tuners.
Exactly, you have to turn off the DTCs.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

the guys are right you have to either send the ECM to someone and have them turn off the functions you want off, and set the ECM to no error reported. or purchase the HP Tuners software and licence or Tech-2 system and you can do it yourself.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

by the way we can perform this operation, you can go online fill out the form and send in the ECM. but if you plan on keeping the vehicle you might check into HP Tuners becuase you can also use it to change timing and fuel tables and performance upgrades. I am not sure of the cost though, I know it's not cheap.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The later versions of Predator will let you turn off AIR, EGR and rear 02 codes.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Banned

Any handheld can CLEAR the codes. Its completely erasing them that is not a typical feature of handhelds on the market today. You have to tell the PCM to not even have a code to see/report period. Basically you have an overstuffed autozone code reader/clearer, NOT a code DELETER. Now IF you had a newer model Predator, possibly you could have some options here...
Old 08-20-2008, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Yes I have the newest version of the Predator and it does actually delete the codes in the tune, it doesn't just clear them. I will definitely get HP Tuners in the future, near future even, but I'm still confused as to why it's just this one code won't go away and all the others are fine. I know it can't "untune" itself so I'm thinking maybe the tuner is having a programming error or something. I had found a thread in my searches where two people had their cars tuned professionally and one of the AIR or EGR codes some how popped back up even after taking it back and having it checked to be sure it was tuned out. Unfortunately there was no solution posted.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

You don't delete DTCs, you can turn them off though.

Clearing a code, and I guess deleting it means that the computer will run through again checking the EGR and AIR systems, and if it finds a problem, which it will because you removed your EGR and AIR systems, it will throw the codes again. If you turn off those DTCs with something like HP Tuners, the computer won't even check those systems and won't throw codes.

You need to turn-off the EGR and AIR DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes), not erase or clear them.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Yes i have the same problem. you go into "modify parameters" then to the AIR, EGR, and Rear 02s, select "off" for all the various codes, then upload the new tune, however it doesn't do anything because they keep coming back!

Whats the deal, mike!!??
Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

In the new series of Predators you can actually turn off the code in the tune the same way you can in the other tuning programs. You can also just clear the DTC codes, but that's not what I'm talking about. For those familiar with the unit, I go to Tuning, Modify Tune, Performance, scroll down to EGR, select it and it lists all the various EGR codes. You then select the code and it gives you the option of ON or OFF, obviously I pick OFF. It has this for the AIR and rear O2 codes as well. I messed with it today after work and turned it off for like the 5th time, installed the tune, and so far all is well after multiple starts and a bit of driving. From the small amount I know about electronics and computer programming, I think the Predator software is just poor and even though you click the OFF command it might not always register. I think there are just some glitches with the Predator. For some reason when I was in the market for a handheld I thought about buying HP Tuners but figured it would be over my head so I settled for the Predator. Looking back, I should have just bought HP Tuners off the bat so live and learn. I posted this over in the forum on the Predator site so I'll see if they give me any words of wisdom in case it shows it's ugly face again.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Oh I see, you can turn-off DTCs with a Predator. Just wondering, do you have to "save" your changes before exiting and uploading? Other than that, it must be a glitch as you said.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Yes you do have to save your changes. My biggest complaint though is that if you go back and look at what you changed it won't tell you if it's ON or OFF so it is easy to forget one of the codes, granted it won't prompt you to save if you didn't change anything, but it's still annoying. So when you save after you modify each code you exit the tuning menu and it asks if you want to install your new tune, you say yes and then go through the installation.

The Predator has been good to me thus far, but I think my next two purchases are going to be a wideband and HP Tuners. My bf is doing an LS1 build in his 3rd gen so we were thinking of splitting the program. How do people usually work out the logistics of sharing it?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MysticTealTA
Yes you do have to save your changes. My biggest complaint though is that if you go back and look at what you changed it won't tell you if it's ON or OFF so it is easy to forget one of the codes, granted it won't prompt you to save if you didn't change anything, but it's still annoying. So when you save after you modify each code you exit the tuning menu and it asks if you want to install your new tune, you say yes and then go through the installation.

The Predator has been good to me thus far, but I think my next two purchases are going to be a wideband and HP Tuners. My bf is doing an LS1 build in his 3rd gen so we were thinking of splitting the program. How do people usually work out the logistics of sharing it?
If I remember correctly, with HP Tuners, you have credits for two cars when you buy the tuning package, but you could buy more if you needed them in the future. I'm able to tune both my T/A and TBSS after just buying the tuning package.

Sharing with someone might just be a matter of splitting the cost and sharing the OBDII cable, or maybe you could buy an extra cable, I'm not sure.

You would never regret buying HPT and a WB though. Money well spent that will easily pay for itself.

Quick Reply: Deleted EGR codes still coming on