Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open loop with cats and tq managment

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default open loop with cats and tq managment

my car runs much better in open loop I have had nothing but issues getting fueling right other then at WOT when the o2's are ignored with a maf or closed loop tune. Recently i had to put cats back on (maganflow 59959 metallic high flows) and i went back to my maf tune because i did not want to damage the cats and I am again dealing with 02's that keep fudging all the numbers(wideband seeing afrs that avg 15s rather than stioch and more misc crap most likely from overlap and the headers). My question is will i ruin the cats if go back to using open loop? I am not using the flat 13-1afr that some use in OL i have it set to run around 14.5 on cruise and idle and around 12.5-12.8 at high loads.. will that still burn up the cats? I have no AIR or EGR on the car. I also was wondering if the torque management for the A4 tranny will still work in OL since i dont feel safe upping the line pressure to where i have to to get a commanded shift point without a cooler or built tranny.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

anyone that knows OL... i would appreciate some feedback i want to avoid having to use MAF or CL sd tune if I can.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You pretty much have to be misfiring or extremely rich to damage the cats.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thats what i thought but i just wanted some feedback to be sure, anyone know if my torque management settings will work still... i could just try it but i dont like banging the rev limiter as a test lol. I forgot to put this in the post..In OL will the PE multiplier still come into effect so if i set the table to around say 14-1 and when I go WOT have the PE afr?

Last edited by ammuscleftw; 08-20-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

i found an answer on the pe issue but i do have one last question that didnt seem to be answered in the searches, If your running full time OL can you set the OL table a set afr like maf tunes try to do at like 14.7 and set pe for the desired a/f at wot? would that affect anything in high load situations when your not in PE?