PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I 'tune' the position sensor on my DBW pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Can I 'tune' the position sensor on my DBW pedal?

Can this be done? I have a truck pedal which I want to reduce the travel on, seeing as I practically have to stick my foot through the floor to WOT it. Is it possible to change the relation between pedal position and throttlebody position, as in have the computer "see" 0% throttle when the pedal is 50% the way through its travel?

I would of course have to put some stops in the pedal travel so that I didn't have a huge dead spot in it.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can be changed with EFILive I know, but be CAREFUL. This is one thing that if you get to far away from the stock setting, it will throw a non-recoverable code and turn the PCM into a brick/door stop.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm... wow, that sounds scary as ****! you just made me majorly reconsider this idea!!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd be better off to modify the pedal assy. You can use vette or gto pedal but you must use the matching throttle body and operating system for that application. Buy another pedal and rip it apart, use the app sensor assy. out of it and make your own pedal. Put a ricer pad on it!!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might check and see how far you are actually pushing the peddle to get the TB to WOT. I put a 5.3 with a truck DBW throttle in my dads 72 Chevy pickup and originally installed the peddle so it had full travel. Once I got everything hooked up, I tested it and had WOT when the peddle was only about have way to the floor. I just heated and bent the peddle till I got WOT right before it hit the floor and it felt MUCH better. Something to check on.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssvolvo
You'd be better off to modify the pedal assy. You can use vette or gto pedal but you must use the matching throttle body and operating system for that application. Buy another pedal and rip it apart, use the app sensor assy. out of it and make your own pedal. Put a ricer pad on it!!
How do you mean? Swap a corvette position sensor into my current pedal assembly? The main reason I want to keep my current pedal assembly is because I have franken-chopped it accept a TV-cable-pulling setup and to have a '72 Nova pedal pad on it for old-school looks... NO ricing allowed!!

Originally Posted by kbracing96
You might check and see how far you are actually pushing the peddle to get the TB to WOT. I put a 5.3 with a truck DBW throttle in my dads 72 Chevy pickup and originally installed the peddle so it had full travel. Once I got everything hooked up, I tested it and had WOT when the peddle was only about have way to the floor. I just heated and bent the peddle till I got WOT right before it hit the floor and it felt MUCH better. Something to check on.
This is a good idea, never even thought of it... just assumed that GM would design the pedal position to accurately/sensically represent the throttle position!! I will hook up HPTuners to it and test the pedal positions.. just sucks I have to wait because my car is in a different city
Old 08-21-2008, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Just what I said. Use your sensor assembly and cut off the pedal part. Weld another pedal onto the arm so you get the travel where you want it. Or just shorten your pedal assembly. What is the operating system? Ls1 or LS2?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the main reason I wanted to do a no-fab, no-buy fix on the pedal travel is because I've already cut/welded an old-school pedal onto it and it it now sits perfectly and looks like it completely fits circa 36years ago... kinda dont want to have to mess with that, but then again I want it to feel better no matter what my options end up being.

It's a 2005 LQ4 w/ TAC module.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

I'm more familiar with LS2 stuff. No TAC module with e40 ECMs.

Not familiar with that setup. But Do what KB racing suggests. Use a scan tool and see at what pedal travel you are at WOT. Then you might put a button or stopper under the pedal.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll try that for sure the next time I can, thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Can I 'tune' the position sensor on my DBW pedal?