Sponsored by:

LC-1 wideband issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LC-1 wideband issue

Hello,
So, I've been noticing while logging that during WOT runs, my wideband mis-reads my AFR.

Sometimes it'll work perfectly fine during a run, or sometimes it'll just max voltage out. Not really sure what is causing it. My wiring is all good. I have it wired into the O2 sensor harness, and the ground reference is at the ground for the lighter. Once I let down from WOT, it'll start reading properly. I'm starting to think that maybe my sensor is getting wacked out from so much flow going past it. Also, I'm pretty sure it is not just running lean, as some runs are fine, and others aren't, i also do not feel any power loss, which you would feel the motor fall on its face with lots of detonation with basically no fuel, which I don't have either.

BTW, this is in a '01 TA.

Thanks for any help...
Adrian
Old 08-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you have it wired to get power from the O2 sensor harness? I'm not following how you have it all connected...

As you know, the LC-1 is extremely sensitive to grounding issues. I don't know if I'd call grounding it to the same ground as the cig. lighter "good". Ideally, it should be grounded to the block or the heads. I think that's why the LC-1 gets such a bad rep...it takes a little more than splicing a few wires to wire it up correctly.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do understand that the LC-1 is troubled by grounding issues. I checked the ground at the cig lighter, and it looked good, maybe i'm wrong. I might move the ground to the body under the console with a tapping screw and see if that makes a difference...

I had a few spare O2 sensors that I removed the male plug from. I wired the LC1 to the male plug, and then routed it through the shift console and plugged it into the stock O2 female connections on the harness. This is the best way I've seen to wire it in, since it will power on/off automatically just like stock O2's. I've been running it this way for over a year now, so this is a new issue. Maybe I'll have to rewire it. Just checking in here to see if anyone might have a definitive answer.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had luck running mine off the cig lighter try a better ground.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Grounding to the front of the passenger side head is not really that hard...you can run the wires out through the grommet under the PCM and to the front of the engine with really no issues.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
... I think that's why the LC-1 gets such a bad rep...it takes a little more than splicing a few wires to wire it up correctly.

I used to think the same, but I have 3 failed units in my guest bedroom parts pile right now. They all give the error of bad sensor (in 3 different vehicles) with good sensors. They work here and there, about 15% of the time.

At any rate, when the sensors start to go south, they typically read lean at WOT. If you have been using it for a year, it's almost certainly sensor replacement time. If you are about to shop around to see what kind of deals you can find, this is the sensor that you need: http://www.lsxtune.com/shop/product_...roducts_id/345
Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

An observation... I was searching a few months ago the Innovate forums, the EFILive forums and LS1Tech and it seems like the majority of people who have problems with the LC-1 have it wired using the power and/or ground from the stock O2 sensor harness. I followed the instructions and wired mine so the blue and white wire are to the same ground lug (bolted to bare metal, not painted metal) I am grounding my PCM and other devices to. The 12v is coming from a switched 12v source that has nothing else on it. I have been running my LC1 only 6 months, however I always get super steady readings on my gauge and other devices that log analog and serial data from the LC-1.

Maybe there is nothing to it. But I thought it was strange.

Now granted, Frost is right on. If it has been a year... it may be sensor time. They dont last a long time. My PLX's sensor lasted a year on my Supra and before that the sensor that came with my AEM WBO2 lasted a year and a half. Do you have a good digital multimeter? You should check your ground.

Lastly, do you have a heatsink on your WBO2 sensor? See page 8 of the users manual.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...C-1_Manual.pdf

Last edited by Goldfinger911; 08-21-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Frost
I used to think the same, but I have 3 failed units in my guest bedroom parts pile right now. They all give the error of bad sensor (in 3 different vehicles) with good sensors. They work here and there, about 15% of the time.
I can fix those for you.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I still don't understand it...how have I been able to run the original sensor under daily driving conditions for 3 years straight and not have an issue? I only recently replaced it because I thought I was pushing my luck, but the readings were still steady.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Doc
I can fix those for you.
Is it a long term fix or will they fail in the same manner again? Is all you would need the controller or should I send a sensor along with it? If you put a new sensor with it, it works for a day or two before it sets the sensor error. Repeated power cycling will sometimes get them to work for a session or part of one. Is this a specific issue that you are familiar with (no details, just yes-no)? I'd really like to have the blue gauge back in the TA

Thanks Doc.