Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflash and startup tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reflash and startup tune

Looking for some advice... I am in New Zealand building a road legal race car based on a TVR Cerbera with an LS6 and TKO600 trans. The LS6 is out of a 2003 Corvette and is stock except for a Comp Cams 228/228 .588/.588 114 cam and uprated valve springs. I didn't get the PCM with the engine.

I bought a PCM to reflash off eBay (from a truck - part number 12200411) and now need to choose tuning software, get a startup tune loaded and teach myself how to improve the tune. If I go with EFILive then this tune on www.holdencrazy.com looks close to my setup, would it be an OK start map or should I start with a stock LS6 tune?

Holdencrazy tune file:
2002 Corvette Z06 Coupe Manual 5.7 Litre LS6
S-LS1B
PCM 12221588
LPE Stage II Heads And Cam Package (224/224-114 LSA), KOOKS Long Tube Headers, 160* T-Stat, Vortex Cold Air

Cheers
Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Anyone? I've now settled on buying HP Tuners so really just need to know if I should start with a stock LS6 tune? I guess the only reason not to would be if the cam is too far off stock to make that a good idea?

...and a followup Q... can I use HP Tuners software to scan and reflash the PCM without it being connected up to the loom (and battery)?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

You are in the Holy Land Of NZ! The homeland of EFI Live. I would suggest subscribing to both HPT and EFI's forums and go with the company that you feel most comfortable with support for support.

Both products are well thought out graphical user interfaces that can enable you the end user to enjoy your vehicle more than the manufacture ever intended.

Good luck with your project!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With HPT you may need to license the pcm multiple times if you take a random pcm and flash a different file into it switching OS's and/or vin numbers. (they require each OS to match a legit vin number for a vehicle that would have run that processor, as part of their vin/os matching)

With EFIlive, you license the actual pcm, and you can flash any compatible file into the pcm without issue.

You need to have a bench harness to flash the pcm outside of the vehicle, it is a simple 4 wires to the pcm to allow flashing, but neither company provides hardware to do this. (EFILive does have a nice bench harness diagram as a tutorial in thier software)

Ryan
Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go with EFI Live I would first flash the tune you found that has about the same specs as you and take it for a drive and log it to see what's it's doing. If ya want you can also download a stock LS6 tune. Try both of them if ya want, only takes about 30 seconds to flash it in.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the comments guys. I wanted to go with the product made-in-NZ but when I emailed them to ask who local to me could help with tuning I got no reply. Go figure... so HP Tuners has my order and I'm just waiting for that to arrive in the mail.

I've got the engine harness in a box here so I once I've ogt the software and find out which 4-wires to connect up I'll be sorted. Thanks again!