Sponsored by:

Houston Tuners??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston Tuners??

Hello,

I took my car apart almost a year ago to fix a number of problems. One of the problems was with the motor (ring problem). The motor was rebuilt by MTI, but the shop is now gone.

I have an LS2 in a 1969 Camaro with a Kenny Bell blower. Jayson tuned the car when it was running last year with the blower, so alot of the work is already done. I most concerned about the rings. Something most be a little off in the computer to loose the rings in a year.

Can anyone recommend a good shop for tuning LSX cars with a blower. I have kicked the idea around of getting EFILive, but I would still need a dyno and a lot of help. I know I could haul the car up to Dallas, but there has to be some good shops in Houston.

Thanks,

Phillip
Old 09-02-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

You need to contact Chuck at HPE(aka horsepower engineering) they're in the houston area, and Chuck is the ninja master when it comes to boosted lsx tuning.

• Address:
11950 Perry Road, STE G Houston, TX 77064

• Phone: 281-477-3100
• Fax: 281-477-3111
Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

talk to G-Force or LMR. they are both outstanding shops. G-forces procharged C6 put down 720 rwhp and the LMR crew is known for their stuff. check out both ------------------->
Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Teching In

I talked to LMR and HPE. Both shops are very close to me.

LMR uses HP Tuner
HPE use LS1Edit
I know MTI used LS1Edit also.

Does anyone use EFILive? When I was looking into buying the software, EFI had the speed density/MAF feature. If I understood this correctly, it would use the MAF around town for drivability, and speed density for WOT. This sounds like a cool option. (Best of both worlds).
Old 09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Phillip Lawrence

LMR uses HP Tuner
HPE use LS1Edit

Does anyone use EFILive? When I was looking into buying the software, EFI had the speed density/MAF feature. If I understood this correctly, it would use the MAF around town for drivability, and speed density for WOT. This sounds like a cool option. (Best of both worlds).
I would rather use SD around town and MAF for WOT I'd kill for an OS like that from HPTuners
Old 09-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

LMR uses HP Tuner
HPE use LS1Edit

ARD off hwy 6 uses EFILive. It doesn't matter too much which one they use. You can accomplish the same thing with all of them if it is done right.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello,

I took my car apart almost a year ago to fix a number of problems. One of the problems was with the motor (ring problem). The motor was rebuilt by MTI, but the shop is now gone.

I have an LS2 in a 1969 Camaro with a Kenny Bell blower. Jayson tuned the car when it was running last year with the blower, so alot of the work is already done. I most concerned about the rings. Something most be a little off in the computer to loose the rings in a year.

Can anyone recommend a good shop for tuning LSX cars with a blower. I have kicked the idea around of getting EFILive, but I would still need a dyno and a lot of help. I know I could haul the car up to Dallas, but there has to be some good shops in Houston.

Thanks,

Phillip
OK, What do you mean by the loss of Rings?, Blowby? Burning Oil?. A motor that is built for forced induction has looser clearances than an NA motor. In order for the "computer" to loose the rings would only be through an improper tune, I.E. ring wash, detonation...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Teching In

The motor was originally built by MTI to be a blower motor. They started with a brand new LS2 block and went from there. I have the stock crank, but the rod and pistons are forged. The compression was lowered to 9:1.

The car started losing more and more oil. Towards the end, it took a half a quart of oil ever couple tanks of gas. It would also smoke on startup and if I idled for an extended amount of time. I did not like looking like the Mosquito truck, so I pulled the motor back out. MTI checked the valve guides and rings. They did not say what was wrong, but they did find something with the rings (replace and re-hone).

Now that the motor is hopefully fixed, I want to make sure the damage was not from a bad tune(Too lean or detonation). Personally, I think it was detonation. The last set of plugs had snowflakes all over them.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The motor was originally built by MTI to be a blower motor. They started with a brand new LS2 block and went from there. I have the stock crank, but the rod and pistons are forged. The compression was lowered to 9:1.

The car started losing more and more oil. Towards the end, it took a half a quart of oil ever couple tanks of gas. It would also smoke on startup and if I idled for an extended amount of time. I did not like looking like the Mosquito truck, so I pulled the motor back out. MTI checked the valve guides and rings. They did not say what was wrong, but they did find something with the rings (replace and re-hone).

Now that the motor is hopefully fixed, I want to make sure the damage was not from a bad tune(Too lean or detonation). Personally, I think it was detonation. The last set of plugs had snowflakes all over them.
Snowflakes and it wasn't Christmas eh, Yup not good..Yea you could say that Detonation was probably the culprit...
Old 09-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Teching In

What is ring wash??
Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Jedi Master

What is ring wash??
shitload of fuel in the cylinders