Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: OLSD or OLMAF

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice: OLSD or OLMAF

I have been working on my tune off and on for almost a year. I had to get away from it for a while because I bought another house and winter set in, busy with job etc...

I spent many hours trying to get all of the surge out of it. After being certain my fueling was right by performing AutoVE multiple times, I worked with the timing, learning tables, TC and TF. I can get it good but not great. Unless I run it in open loop. In open loop, 99% of the surge is gone and I only get a slight bump in rpms when coming to a stop as it downshifts. It has excellent street maners in open loop and I'm tired of chasing my tail trying to get it to behave everytime I put it back in closed loop.

So I have decided to upgrade my operating system to EFI Live's COS 3 and run open loop all the time.

What are the benefits to running with the MAF when in open loop? If there arent any or many I'm going to remove it from the car. After AutoVE it runs rich with the maf enabled in open loop, which I can fix but I'm not sure there is any benefit to it. Right now I have it running OLSD and my fueling is spot on. My car is not a DD by the way, and I'm going to install an AFR gage so I can drive it without the laptop all the time.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going open loop, I'd say just run it in SD...it is just one less thing to dial in. I've had my car tuned that way for years now.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, that is what I am planning to do at this point unless someone can give me a good reason to use the MAF. I think all I would have to do now is upgrade to COS3 and dial in the IAT VE multiplier table.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DaveX
Thanks, that is what I am planning to do at this point unless someone can give me a good reason to use the MAF. I think all I would have to do now is upgrade to COS3 and dial in the IAT VE multiplier table.
been using cos 3 OLSD for a while now and love it. You can even allow the car to run partial CL in cruise using the command fuel map. Now I would not go back.

Grim
Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Jedi Master

I have the same problem...OL is wonderful and CL is horse **** in comparison but still drives pretty well.

I've been running OLMAF the past few days just working on my airflow tables and the car drives like a dream. I would however do OLSD(which I'm doing soon for retune reasons).
Old 09-14-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been running COS 5 without a MAF in SD for a few years on my D/D.
Works great.

Bill
Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like OLSD for now.