Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle high while moving - m6

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Idle high while moving - m6

Ok if my car is moving and its in neutral the idle is anywhere between 1500-2000 rpm. When I come to a stop the idle goes to about 900 rpm. The car was tuned about a year ago and I can't live with the problem anymore, its really annoying. The car used to surge like a vaccum leak and I replaced the IAC and the surging went away but did not fix the high idle while the car is in motion. It's really annoying to be driving around town and put it in neutral hit the breaks and the rpm's raise then just drop when I stop. I currently have the MS3 cam/5.3 heads/90mm fast/90mm NW tb. Please help.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throttle cracker table needs work...
Old 09-16-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

who tuned the car? mine does the same thing, when i asked about it i was told it was normal for a camed car to act
Old 09-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 02anti_vnm
who tuned the car? mine does the same thing, when i asked about it i was told it was normal for a camed car to act
Yeah maybe if your tuner is an idiot.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine does it too. annoying as hell. Real bad on the highway.

I complained to my tuner about it, and he said the engine isn't making enough vaccum at low engine speeds, which is probably true, but I think it's also true that my tuner maybe an idiot as well
Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like the idle follower needs to be looked at.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gh0st
Yeah maybe if your tuner is an idiot.
I wouldn't say he is an idiot just yet. It is a feature in the tune that is used in stock cars too you know, but its usually only a couple of hundred revs max so most don't notice it.

The reality is its really easy to fix.. You just max the speed enable for it and it turns off leaving the PCM only follower airflow additions. I've only had 1 customer that requested that it be disabled as he liked to coast down to a stop with his foot on the clutch and wanted the car to return to to its 650rpm idle I was running it at.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the tuner drill a hole in the TB blade?.... Hopefully not, this mod dosn't need to be done as there are other ways round it. Its difficult to make the hole smaller once its there.

I run my idle at around 800rpm and that's on a 226/226-112 cammed car. May be able to run lower, but had a little trouble of it stalling when coasting.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Base idle airflow is too high. Typical problem. When the cars moving the idle trims are zero, causing the high idle, when you stop the trims go negative, dropping the idle.
If you get the idle airflow in line, the idle will drop almost all the way when you close the throttle.
You have to get that table right, along with the IAC table.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem, but it just started for no reason, I havent changed anything since the original tune awhile back, is this common, will I have to adjust something every time this happens?????
Old 10-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

guys! I had similar problems when the car has about 20 miles or more of interstate driving and when getting into traffic while moving, clutch pushed in, idle is around 1500 rpm, come to a stop it drops to about 1k then settles a little lower! It was also causing shifting problems problems with the clutch making wierd sounds. From reading the forums...I tried replacing my pcv and all of the tubing...what a pain the asp!!! I still had a problem...but I read another thread where the guy put some duck tape over the hole in the throttle body blade and voila!! problem fixed!!! The car now idles around 800 rpm and the rpm's drop every time.... Hey!!! it is very easy to give it a try....nothing to lose....wow...I'm a happy camper now!!! I know this is temporary fix...not sure where the extra air is coming from or if it is a tune issue.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

[quote=RedWS6 00;10123657]Did the tuner drill a hole in the TB blade?.... Hopefully not, this mod dosn't need to be done as there are other ways round it. Its difficult to make the hole smaller once its there.

somebody drilled one in mine at the shop my cam was installed at. I noticed it today when i was going to port the tb and noticed the abyss that was drilled in it. My car's idle was going crazy and it wouldnt stay right with ac on. long story short my friend had a extra tb and brought it over its like day and night. but it was obvious the hole was drilled to big
Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

as far as i know it is spose to do this to an extent so when u depress the clutch it isn't as harsh as the car tries to match the rpm. as u slow down it should drop as well.