Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2 "Plug In" Emmissions Tests and LS1Edit

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OBD2 "Plug In" Emmissions Tests and LS1Edit

Does anyone know what exactly the "Plug In" style Emmissions tests look for? I have to assume that they look for Trouble Codes and say OK otherwise.

Ive passed repeatedly with my Volvo S70R. The SES light in the Volvo usually ocmes on after about 200 miles from "overboost" conditions. However a quick computer reset seems to be OK just prior to the emmissions test. The entire Motronic V4.4 is wrong for the car (its an aftermarket upgrade), so Im led to believe that thye dont do any kind of checksum/hash of the code to look for alterations.

The one thing Im interested in is if the Emmissions test looks for the frequency settings of certain tests. IE if we set certain tests to never run, will it tilt?

I dont mind cheating my way through the test because I actually use the SS so little. My gross emmissions output is far less than a daily driven Hybrid Honda.

But I would like to avoid any complications and get current tags for the car.

I am in Portland, OR if anyone has any information that would be helpful. The tests consist of no visual, no sniffer, no dyno, for anythign past 96. Just a quick plug in, test through the PCM, and then "voila".

chris
Old 09-08-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OBD2

Apologies if I just restated the question Cool28 asks in a nearby post.... didnt see it wiht a search or scanning past. Lack of sleep?
Old 09-08-2003, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that they look for some form of a "system readiness" test. This is only confirmed after x number of starts with all equipment passing the PCM's system test. Therefore, you can't reset the PCM around the corner from the emissions station then drive up and pass. I "think" this is the way it works.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

We have tge same test in Houston, TX. Do not turn any off the tests off! It doesn't check to see 'if' you passed or failed the tests, only that the tests are complete/incomplete. What you do is set the test to not set or dispaly a code if it finds a problem. All you want is the test to complete. It will not tell them if the test complete with a pass or a fail. In LS1-Edit, for the codes you are trying to 'overlook', you let the code equal 'Type=X'. Leave the 'set SES' part alone.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:59 PM
TECH Veteran

I do ET in Ga. We test 96 up with OBDII testing. From 96 to 99 you can have 2 "not ready's" and pass, with 00 & up only one. As long as no codes are present and the readiness monitors are set it will pass. We have NO visual inspection on 96 up cars/light trucks.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here in NC we have visual and all OBDII testing also. i deleted a lot of stuff out of the computer including the EGR and rear o2's...passed the OBDII part of the inspection no problem, i was extremely surprised