PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/cons of deleting front O2 sensors?

Old 09-09-2003, 08:42 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pros/cons of deleting front O2 sensors?

Ive got O2 simulators for the rear O2 sensors because Im running longtubes. However, the SES light keeps coming and it keeps throwing the same code(s). I dont know if my front O2 sensors are bad or not, but if theyre not, then what could be setting the light off over and over? I put the cats back on, so that eliminates that solution. What would happen if I was to get them (front O2s) deleted out of the PCM? Would this show up or not allow me to pass emissions? An OBD II test only is required on my car, but will that come up or show something wrong when they test it? I want the car to run properly, to pass emissions, and to be no gas or perfomance losses. Thanks
Old 09-09-2003, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Pros/cons of deleting front O2 sensors?

Have you scanned to see what codes are popping up?
Old 09-09-2003, 10:03 PM
FormerVendor

That would serve no purpose IMHO. You wont be able to tune for part throttle and the computer wont be able to differentiate A/F ratios whether in PE or closed loop (unless it has backup ways of telling this). I think the front o2 are just as important as the MAF. The rear o2 are there just to keep tabs on the cat
Old 09-10-2003, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Canning your front O2 sensors is not a big deal. Not alot of people do it, so it is kind of a taboo. I haven't run them on my personal car for some time, and many many of our MONSTER cam cars have been running around without them for almost a year.... they don't have any problems. Not to mention, cars that are sold in countries that don't have stringent emmissions policies come without CATS and O2 sensors all together. So, our cars run fine without them. Just be sure to tune them out properly.

Unfortunately, without your front O2 sensors, you will NEVER pass emmissions. So, given your above criteria it is out of the question.

Good Luck
Old 09-10-2003, 12:56 AM
9 Second Club NA

Have you scanned to see what codes are popping up?
Yes...P0135 and PO155. I believe its the: heater performance bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 <--or 2 (I cant remember) I was told to replace the off-road pipes with the cats, but Im guessing since theyre high flowing, that its still going to trip the light/code. So the next suggestion that was brought to me was deleting the O2s.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:02 AM
9 Second Club NA

I haven't run them on my personal car for some time, and many many of our MONSTER cam cars have been running around without them for almost a year.... they don't have any problems. Unfortunately, without your front O2 sensors, you will NEVER pass emmissions.
Is your personal car a daily driver? I can see "MONSTER" cars running without them because they only make 9, 10, or 11 sec. passes at a time. I have to drive mine daily. How come if theyre deleted, the car wont pass? In my area, all that has to be done for emissions is plug it under the dash for an OBD II test. I was told that if no errors popped up during testing, that it would pass. I was also told that whatever was deleted out of the PCM, cannot be traced/be noticed. I want my car to run properly, pass, and not throw anymore codes...those are my main concerns. Thanks
Old 09-10-2003, 02:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Canning your front O2 sensors is not a big deal. Not alot of people do it, so it is kind of a taboo. I haven't run them on my personal car for some time, and many many of our MONSTER cam cars have been running around without them for almost a year.... they don't have any problems. Not to mention, cars that are sold in countries that don't have stringent emmissions policies come without CATS and O2 sensors all together. So, our cars run fine without them. Just be sure to tune them out properly.

Unfortunately, without your front O2 sensors, you will NEVER pass emmissions. So, given your above criteria it is out of the question.

Good Luck
NoGo what do you need to be watching for when doing something like this? In other words how and what tables need to be adjusted etc? I am assuming all aspects of operation get affected and need to be compensated accordinly, correct?

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't run them on my personal car for some time, and many many of our MONSTER cam cars have been running around without them for almost a year.... they don't have any problems. Unfortunately, without your front O2 sensors, you will NEVER pass emmissions.
Is your personal car a daily driver? I can see "MONSTER" cars running without them because they only make 9, 10, or 11 sec. passes at a time. I have to drive mine daily. How come if theyre deleted, the car wont pass? In my area, all that has to be done for emissions is plug it under the dash for an OBD II test. I was told that if no errors popped up during testing, that it would pass. I was also told that whatever was deleted out of the PCM, cannot be traced/be noticed. I want my car to run properly, pass, and not throw anymore codes...those are my main concerns. Thanks
Nearly all of the monster cam cars are daily drivers. These are our 390,400 HP cam cars. My personal car I put about 500 miles a week on it (when I'm not tearing it apart at the shop).

Kicking your car to open loop will set an incomplete for the catalyst efficiency test. If they check for incomplete tests, then you won't pass. If they are just checking for SES codes, then you will pass.

Good Luck
Old 09-10-2003, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Just to be safe since this is Texas and all I wouldnt delete your front O2's.You probably wouldnt pass inspection since it does plug into your computer it would throw the code.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe all of the O2s are the same type, so you should be able to swap out your two front O2s with the two you took out of the back, and see if you still have the same problems. That should tell you if your O2s are bad or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pros/cons of deleting front O2 sensors?